Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on temporary shower feed before we move to megaflow in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to a megaflow from a regular immersion heater set up. The house has several showers and at the moment they are fed by gravity feeds from the immersion (hot water) and a top floor tank (cold water). All the showers are powered by (pressure drop) pumps which are fed by the immersion heater/top floor tank.

When we have the megaflow fitted we will feed direct from the megaflow and mains pressure cold.

I am re-doing a bathroom on our top floor and, knowing what is coming, have plumbed on the basis of mains water pressure cold water. Before we get the megaflow could the pump take just the hot water and I feed the cold water from the mains? I assume I cannot feed the pump (which pumps both hot and cold water) with mains pressure? Worst case I can just wait for the megaflow; we are lucky enough to have several showers. What are my options?

Thanks and regards,

David

The bathrooms cold will need to be fed off the unvented balanced cold as well so will need piping back to the cylinder

single or twin impeller pump eg 2 or 4 pipes on it ?

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm not a plumber s what do you mean by "fed off the unvented balanced cold so will need piping back to the cylinder"?

The pump is a twin impeller as four pipes - hot in, hot out and on other side - cold in, cold out

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm not a plumber s what do you mean by "fed off the unvented balanced cold so will need piping back to the cylinder"?

The pump is a twin impeller as four pipes - hot in, hot out and on other side - cold in, cold out
The cold will have to come after the unvented pressure reducing valve to keep the supplies balanced eg like your pump both at the same pressure

You can’t just use only the hot off your pump on a side note needs to be both of them due to both impellers spin at the same time one shaft

Is it best to only feed showers from balanced supply and everything else straight from main?
If you had a reducing valve on supply where it enters property and all outlets fed from it, would flow restrictions and pressure fluctuation become more of an issue again?

You say you have multiple showers. Have you tested your mains flow rate?

With your current tank and pump set up, you’ll likely get better flow than the unvented.

More often than not, unvented isn’t better than your current set up.

Reply to Advice on temporary shower feed before we move to megaflow in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock