Discuss Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dazplum

Hi all is there a good combination of sealants that will stop a leak where the valves screw into the rad?
I used ptfe tape and lsx gel and the leak was cured.
Out of interest I had 7 turns of ptfe.
Any thoughts?

12 - 14 turns of ptfe and a smidgeon of jointing comp or 6 or 7 turns of loctite 55 and its all done

Correct amount of turns of ptfe tape (& it varies depending on types of rads & valves) plus some paste.
Paste will lubricate the joint as well as be a sealant.

Jet Blue or what I use - "Jet Lube v-2 plus" which I think is same.
It is non setting & can be used for gas etc. Expensive but good. If you wanted cheaper paste that is fine for heating then Boss White is brilliant & very cheap, but it hardens in the pot & it sets hard on hot pipes.

Sorry to be so thick, would boss white and ptfe do the trick?

Yes, Boss White on non potable water is perfect. Shouldn't react with ptfe tape as ptfe is very resistant to just about everything.

Is it possible to use boss white on its own? or is it always best with ptfe tape?

Next time the phone goes to install a rad, think I,ll go into hiding lol.
Havin a bad run with the same problem.

Is it possible to use boss white on its own? or is it always best with ptfe tape?

Wouldn't do it, but if the system wasn't a high pressure system it might seal okay immediately, especially after heat gets to it. Risk of it leaking if the joint ever got a turn. Better to use ptfe.

Don't overdo the tape turns or it will just push off & put the tape on the proper direction obviously.
If the rad tail is starting to feel fairly tight half way, it will seal no problem, but use paste & it's garanteed.

Hi best do you use your jet lube with the ptfe tape then?
I no Im thick.:54:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back