Search the forum,

Discuss Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dazplum

Hi all is there a good combination of sealants that will stop a leak where the valves screw into the rad?
I used ptfe tape and lsx gel and the leak was cured.
Out of interest I had 7 turns of ptfe.
Any thoughts?

12 - 14 turns of ptfe and a smidgeon of jointing comp or 6 or 7 turns of loctite 55 and its all done

Correct amount of turns of ptfe tape (& it varies depending on types of rads & valves) plus some paste.
Paste will lubricate the joint as well as be a sealant.

Jet Blue or what I use - "Jet Lube v-2 plus" which I think is same.
It is non setting & can be used for gas etc. Expensive but good. If you wanted cheaper paste that is fine for heating then Boss White is brilliant & very cheap, but it hardens in the pot & it sets hard on hot pipes.

Sorry to be so thick, would boss white and ptfe do the trick?

Yes, Boss White on non potable water is perfect. Shouldn't react with ptfe tape as ptfe is very resistant to just about everything.

Is it possible to use boss white on its own? or is it always best with ptfe tape?

Next time the phone goes to install a rad, think I,ll go into hiding lol.
Havin a bad run with the same problem.

Is it possible to use boss white on its own? or is it always best with ptfe tape?

Wouldn't do it, but if the system wasn't a high pressure system it might seal okay immediately, especially after heat gets to it. Risk of it leaking if the joint ever got a turn. Better to use ptfe.

Don't overdo the tape turns or it will just push off & put the tape on the proper direction obviously.
If the rad tail is starting to feel fairly tight half way, it will seal no problem, but use paste & it's garanteed.

Hi best do you use your jet lube with the ptfe tape then?
I no Im thick.:54:

Boss White is very cheap, but it gets wasted usually, as just hardens in the pot & becomes unusable unless you mix in some linseed oil. The Jet Blue therefore is cheaper than it seems as you don't waste any.

Boss White is very cheap, but it gets wasted usually, as just hardens in the pot & becomes unusable unless you mix in some linseed oil. The Jet Blue therefore is cheaper than it seems as you don't waste any.

A pot of jet blue lasts for years. Awesome stuff.

Hi best do you use your jet lube with the ptfe tape then?
I no Im thick.:54:

Jet Lube over all ptfe male or female joints before tightening them up. Also for all brass compression fitting over the olives.
Only exception is oil fittings which need ptfe plus a jointing compound I can't remember at moment. - "Heldite" (had to google it - having a senior moment!) :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, goin to print this of and get some of the stuff suggested.:smug:

i count 14 turns but you allways know when you are screwing it in if it will leak or not if it feels strange undo clean off and wrap again

Thin bead of loctite 577 does the trick. No need for any tape or string.

i count 14 turns but you allways know when you are screwing it in if it will leak or not if it feels strange undo clean off and wrap again

That,s the funny thing woody it always feel right and I don,t get a leak for a day or two later.
When I say a leak, its a teaspoon over that time period.

That,s the funny thing woody it always feel right and I don,t get a leak for a day or two later.
When I say a leak, its a teaspoon over that time period.

You using decent ptfe or the cheapest of the cheap crap?

Its called 100 percent ptfe and it says fastpak on it.
Is it the cheap junk?

How many wraps of ptfe for rad valve tails depends on the valve & radiator.
If you use the same rads and valves every time you get a feel for how many, its when I use different rads & valves when I sometimes take the rad valve tail out and add more ptfe.

loctite 55 is good, I have used this on and off for a few years ever since a rep demonstrated it to me.

He had a set up; 15mm Male fitting wrapped it 8 times (I think) any old how, he then tightened it in hand tight pressurised it up to 2/3 bar loosened it and tightened it and no drop.

i now always have some in my flux box

Do you find customers loose faith in your abilities quickly on the slightest of leaks?
Because its a bit of hit and miss secureing a water tight rad valve seal, some customers think because you are a plumber, there should be no leak.
Maybe its me lol>:38:

I tend to try to not have leaks or you dont get phone calls asking for quotes! Being called leaky lewis or puddle doesnt inspire confidence from Jo public. Dry clean carpets equals repeat business

Last edited by a moderator:
I no, where you are coming from.
Shame we have a bit of a guessing game.
Sorry love I only put on 7,12.14. turns of tape?:wacko:

As previously mentioned but ignored
Loctight 577 expensive but does the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock