Discuss Zoning education. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masey

Gas Engineer
I'm still trying to get my head around central heating zones. I understand the practicality and that each zone has its own thermostat or programmer. But someone asked me today, how is having a separate thermostat upstairs any different than setting all the upstairs TRV's to 3 or 4??

Wasn't really sure on the best answer to this. Obviously a separate programmer makes sense but is it really worth it just having a thermostat controlling that zone?

yes and I would completely agree with this in a new build as said before, I'm questioning its effectiveness in a retro fit scenario as they try to imply in part L.
I have never done New build apart from extensions but have done a lot of total refurbs where floors are all up !
I guess all jobs really need to be treated on their own but as we all know this will never fit in to some pen pushers litle boxes ?

Probably even more cost to that, removing architraves and skirting, electrical fittings, radiators, fixing, skimming, redecoration it would be cheaper to move house!

Probably even more cost to that, removing architraves and skirting, electrical fittings, radiators, fixing, skimming, redecoration it would be cheaper to move house!
With the lot I used to work for they change houses as often as wives and money really is not something they worry about until they have to pay you !
If the Feng Shui master says wooden floors then wooden floors wifey gets !

Your designed temp is 21 living and 18 bedrooms
But as we all know some people like it higher some lower
Do you factor that into your design no we aim for a set point only
So the room will be heated to that desired temp on stat
If the room above to side or underneath is at a lower temp it may and only may as depends on a lot of things ie insulation even to if the person leaves a door open or closed
We can't factor that fine a detail on it nor would I want to

Will just take longer to hit set point that's the beauty of the zoned system. All zones reach desired temp no matter what the external conditions (within reason) all that changes is the lag (time to reach set point)

There will never be a better time to fit heating controls gas and electricity prices set to rise substantially every year for the 17 years, over the rate of inflation, not my words,
your governments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arctic winter conditions are on the way, gas has just gone up 10% across the piece, long range forecast long hard winter, now do you think full house zoning is a good or bad idea. We are importing LPG from Africa to top up our failing North Sea gas fields, when are people going to listen, I will bet there will be gas shortages in 2014, if they are right with the long range forecast there will no doubt be power cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arctic winter conditions are on the way, gas has just gone up 10% across the piece, long range forecast long hard winter, now do you think full house zoning is a good or bad idea. We are importing LPG from Africa to top up our failing North Sea gas fields, when are people going to listen, I will bet there will be gas shortages in 2014, if they are right with the long range forecast there will no doubt be power cuts.

Great idea, just not cost effective unless new build.

Cost of new install in existing house : circa £4000

cost of new instal in existing house (zoned) : circa £4600

customer " I'll take option one please"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Zoning education. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back