Currently reading:
Winning 100% of work quoted for - am I too cheap?

Discuss Winning 100% of work quoted for - am I too cheap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Brother in law qualified about 18 months ago and has been working very hard. He is winning virtually all of the work he quotes for, the only ones he is not winning is due to him not being available quick enough.

I think he must be way too cheap. What do you think?

Is he cheap ? Well you tell us some of his prices ? Examples etc ! Their isnt no such thing really i dont feel as being too cheap ! You need to make a living ! I could have work everyday 7 days a week and have 50 lads on the road also doesnt mean id be earning a living !

i think i dont know who you are and your on a fastrack looking for the pot of gold with your wee fishing rod?

of course i can be totally wrong!
so therefore the answer has to be...
of course he is too cheap, he must be charging peanuts and what is the standard of his work?

in my opinion getting 100% of all jobs then he is doing something wrong!!!!

Thanks for all the comments. I don't know what he is charging, just that looking at his profile on check a trade etc. his reputation is very good and he is winning more work than he can do.
I am not a plumber so don't know his business but my way of thinking is that I would get more than 1 quote for work and would pick someone who turned up on time to quote (or phoned to update) came across professional and knowledgeable and was in the ball park of the other quotes.

So he might be very lucky or he is doing something very right.

Thanks very much.

My Brother in law qualified about 18 months ago and has been working very hard. He is winning virtually all of the work he quotes for, the only ones he is not winning is due to him not being available quick enough.

Just had a rethink maybe he's not busy, a lot go in my merchants saying they are stacked, but aren't taking much gear and are propping up the coffee machine, more so because its the school holidays and paperwork at home ain't a good option lol!

Just had a rethink maybe he's not busy, a lot go in my merchants saying they are stacked, but aren't taking much gear and are propping up the coffee machine, more so because its the school holidays and paperwork at home ain't a good option lol!

I think you might be talking about me!

Tell you who I haven't seen for a while, egg and nest.

I was told when I started on my own that if you were getting 1 in 3 you were doing ok. It all depends where the work is coming from, advertising, recommendations etc. Fair play to him, but I would say if he's doing well he needs to crank up his prices. When you are busy you should up your prices.

im confused why has the brother come on to ask about his work and pricing but doesnt have a clue about his work and pricing ? and it sounds like they dont even talk themselves

does he advertise for his work if so i would think he may be on the cheap side, ive never advertised and i havent really lost many jobs, when your recommended you can almost walk into a customers house with an air of arrogance (oh he's quoted 150 cheaper than me, well tell you what go around to your friends house an tell me what you think, theres a reason he pays 6k a year advertising love) obviously dont be arrogant or youll just be told to do one, but you get my drift

I also win almost 100% of jobs. Customers have shown me other estimates from other plumbers and I am certainly not the cheapest. I do give good customer service telling them exactly what is involved, re-assuring them that I will keep dust etc to a minimum, help them choose bathroom suites. I never send estimates out in the post, I always visit the customer and go through it with them.

I have asked many customers why they chose me and they have all said that they feel they can trust me.

I was in sales many years ago and believe me, customer service and a confident manner go a long way to getting that job.

Your post just sounds very nosey to me
Let him run his own business

Topic title contradicts what you're saying. Is this about you or your 'brother-in-law'? Also, 'virtually all' does not translate to '100%' according to my scientific calculator.

What area of the country are you/him quoting jobs for? Maybe you're/he's the only plumber in the entire area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Winning 100% of work quoted for - am I too cheap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back