Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement boiler in CO11, Mistley Manningtree Veissmann preferred in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
My mother has a rented-out property at the above postcode. She's lives abroad and is stuck, and I am in a similar situation.

Existing boiler is a Thorn Apollo heat-only open-vented boiler fitted on external kitchen wall running on a Y or S plan with vented cylinder. Seems to reaching end of life and needs repair, so may be the time. Letting agents want to get a cheap replacement. Their usual gas installer isn't keen on repairing (actually he's clutching at straws and suggesting replacing parts at random). I'm not sure what the problem is: apparently the boiler broke down on the day of the service.

If the Apollo needs replacement, my mother and I are happy so long as the new boiler is a quality installation. Basically my mother trusts my judgement over the agent's and will take my advice.

I'm not keen on using the letting agent's installer as I think he's going for a cheap job. We've had an £1800 estimate without any further detail. I want a decent boiler by a manufacturer accredited installer. I like Veissmann. I will be paying the bill by UK (Nationwide) cheque posted from Italy (post takes 10 days or so), or by Nationwide VISA debit card (UK account) as I have the money available. I do have a friend who has access to some emergency cash if that is preferred. But invoice should go to my mother.

As the house in general will need will need refurbishment in the near future (problem has been Covid situation and family issues preventing anyone in the family getting to the property) a combi boiler may be the way forward even though the existing system is heat-only and open vented.

I would like:

- a formal quotation for...

- a decent combi (thinking Viessmann Ecodens 200, but may be too high output for the house?). Gas run is on external wall and may already be sufficient, but easy to upgrade if needed. I would suggest run the DHW output to the kitchen tap nearby if possible/necessary and connect as if it were a system boiler to the rest of the installation. The condensate could go to the kitchen sink or to external SVP.

- ?8 radiators - leave existing, but need a powerflush. No flow issues known, but boiler kettles. House is quite full of stuff, so a bit of liaising with tenants required. The tenants are generally friendly. Dogs running around, but tenants will contain them when you don't fancy being licked and tripped up constantly. TRVs were fitted a couple of years ago to the radiators that needed them.

- quality inhibitor and filter.

- sensitive flue installation as if neighbour can find grounds for complaint he will.

- weather comp???

Basically, I think a combi would work well in this small house (1 bathroom, 1 kitchen both on ground floor), but I don't want to pay for the full conversion of the vented cylinder installation, removal of pumped shower etc. when I'm likely to have time to do this later this year, and tenants want a quick solution, hence my suggestion of initial installation being to connect to existing system with minimal modification.

The quality of the existing plumbing is below the standard I like to see (but seems to be watertight), which is why I'm looking forward to improving it, but at least it's all copper.

Needs to be within next fornight ideally, though while tenants and agents have moaned about not being able to use a shower, there is an immersion heater, so actually there isn't a great rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement boiler in CO11, Mistley Manningtree Veissmann preferred in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock