Discuss Why no cleaner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

riandad

Hi, ma first post, 1 rad not heating well. Manifold was cleared of sludge about year ago then worked fine for about 6 months. I have a gravity system with a primatic cylinder. I understand you cant add cleaner to this system as it could contaminate the water supply.
Would it only be the hot water it could contaminate as all the cold comes from the mains??
If so what is stopping the c/h water contaminating just now without any cleaner it, surely there would be dirty water coming through taps???

Any advice appreciated
cheers

With a primatic system it's just air that seperates the water in the radiators from the water in the hotwater cylinder. I've never actually come across one in the field as they're quite rare, and for good reason. An upgrade to a standard cylinder would be advantagous eventually.

Your mains cold is of course risk free from contamination.

fit a magna clean twin tech on the return pipe. That will sort it.

If i fit the magna clean twin tech, will this enable me to add cleaner to the system and remove sludge??

The filter will clean sludge without the risk of poisoning you. Don't risk ingesting system cleaner or inhibitor. Get a plumber in again. (in my opinion).

Ok cheers , have got a plumber coming on tues to repipe the rad, will give him a call tomoro n see if he can fit that instead. ta

Replace the primatic cylinder. That's the only way to stop the problem.

You cant add inhibitor as the bubble could allow the inhibitor to get into water supply, you can however introduce a cleaner but have to make sure its throughly flushed out. The best solution as mentioned by WHPES is to replace the primatic for an indirect.

Thanks for your reply's, been doin a bit research tonite. Would it be possible to fit an indirect and change my system to unvented. This would remove feeder tank in loft and says you get mains pressure hot water.My current boiler is an ideal mexico 2 which I believe is a condensing boiler (a bit dated lookin but never had any trouble with it) Also would be able to add cleaners to this system.they look about £6-700 for 1/2 decent cylinder, will also get a filter fitted, would they be simple enough to fit??

Yes you should be able to have an indirect unvented cylinder fitted (by a qualifed and registered unvented fitter). Filters are simple to fit - they just go into the return pipework for the boiler. The system should be flushed out at the same time to remove any debris present and thus improve efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why no cleaner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock