Discuss what boiler to buy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello to all, i am having a new kitchen extension built and had to scrap my boiler(was in when i bought the house in '88, a stelrad concorde boiler) the pipework is there for a regular boiler but was wondering about a combi, which would be the best to fit, i know i will probably get a load of different suggestions but any is better than none. i am not made of money so have to watch what i spend, i have 3 beds and 1 bathroom so its a normal sized end terrace, which lasts longer, combi or regular boiler? i have looked around and they all seem to be around the same efficiency,
thx

Combis are good in smaller houses I would say a 3 bed house would be the limit for when I would suggest a combi but it all depends on your usage and incoming mains. If you have a decent flow rate go for a slightly larger combi.

For all round value I think a Baxi duotec can't be beat, good boiler, long warranty, reasonable price.

Going from a heat only to combi will be more expensive than heat only - heat only and which will last longer? Will generally depend on how the system is installed and looked after.

I would recommend a 28 kw combi boiler. Worcester Greenstar 28i junior comes with a 5 year Bosch warranty if installed and registered correctly. A bit more expensive than a Baxi but cheaper to maintain in the long run.

I would recommend a 28 kw combi boiler. Worcester Greenstar 28i junior comes with a 5 year Bosch warranty if installed and registered correctly. A bit more expensive than a Baxi but cheaper to maintain in the long run.
thx, so it seems that the general view is to get a combi rather than a heat only boiler even though the pipe work is still in to feed the cylinder in the loft as said in the OP, good to know thanks again :)

With respect, if the incoming mains pressure & flow rate is really poor, a combi is not a good choice. OP really needs to get a couple of decent local GSRs in to give their recommendations based on OPs specific circumstances.

Worcester Bosch Greenstar cdi combi boiler, 29 or 34kw. But it depends on the cold mains incoming pressure which one to go for.
7 or 8 years warranty If you go with a Worcester accredited installer, lots of other boilers about with similar warranties etc, but Worcester Bosch do honour them and will be there promptly if a warranty callout is needed.
Personally I find them to be great boilers and the customer service is second to none.

Why the rush to fit a combi?

There is nothing in the OP which indicates that moving to a combi would be advantageous.

In my experience, heat only boilers tend to last longer than combis.

With one bathroom I would be suggesting a 30/35kwcombi provided flow/pressure are there. I'm not such a fan of Worcester so will throw in an Ideal Logic + or Independent +, with a 7 year warranty as standard. You will save about £200 over a Worcester, with in my opinion a better boiler (all subjective of course).

If you have an installer you trust then don't be afraid to go with his suggestion, provided it's nothing French/Italian, after all he will be the one looking after it for the next 10-20 years. The quality of installation is more important than the boiler make with a few exceptions.

How do you work that out? Have you never seen the inside of a greenstar after 5-6 years most look knackered. I wouldn't go for the junior either unless they now come with temperature control for the dhw!

The best system is the system boiler and pressurised tank, but if your set on a combi and have the one bathroom id go for either the worcester classic 29cdi (5yr warr)or the ideal logic plus 30kw,(7yr warr) i would go for the junior as theyre not great atall, (my opinion), the classic is a great boiler and so is the logic and ideal have the new vogue which is 10 year warranty,
Or a logic plus 18kw system boiler with 210l unvented tank,
Welcome to the forum bomberns

at the mo i have an indirect cylinder in the loft, with a top up tank for both the heating and hot water tank, what difference would a pressurised cylinder make?, i have had a plumber in tonight for a look see and he suggested a combi, if i wanted a heat only boiler he suggested a direct tank, he is off to see his boss in the morning so it looks like its going to be done v v soon! it was demolished end of june so only had electric undersink heater for kitchen and electric shower upstairs, tbh i am a jack of all trades but this i leave to those that know best, still have to finish the new kitchen ext ! and the wife has been amazingly patient with the makeshift kitchen in the dining room.

Last edited:
You would still need a decent cold mains pressure for a unvented cylinder. It would give you a cold mains like pressure from your hot taps. Basically lots of hot water at near to mains pressure.
A lot depends on demand for hot water, do you have children?? If not a combi is the better option for you, a decent one will give you enough hot water and will be much cheaper than new boiler and unvented option.

i have 2 'kids' 29 and 25 both still at home, although the 29 year old spends most of the week at his girlfriends, the 25 year old daughter loves baths when she come home from work, the reason i am leaning towards a regular boiler is the life span, my old one was old when i moved in 26 years ago, every plumber spoken to on site recommend using a standard regular boiler because of this, what i could save in running costs are outweighed by replacing a combi after say 10 years

How do you work that out? Have you never seen the inside of a greenstar after 5-6 years most look knackered. I wouldn't go for the junior either unless they now come with temperature control for the dhw!

Well they do come with a dhw control for a while now didn't you know?. I've been servicing and repairing them on our patch for the last 8 years and they are great. Compared to other 28kw combi boilers they are reliable and efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what boiler to buy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back