Discuss Water in the Gas section. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakdown

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got called out today for a fault on a chaffoteaux et maury britony 2 water heater.The pilot would not light, no gas comming through tube to pilot.I removed the tube and removed the injector, thought it might have been blocked.I then turned the ignition knob to see if any gas was comming through. There was gas but also water. I then isolated gas supply to boiler from 15mm feed on pipework cracked nut and opened up valve to see if any water had got into gas supply, looked ok.cleared burner put all back together seems ok but water temp not brilliant.Did not have time to strip down for further investigation but have a feeling i will be called back. Is there any way water could get into the gas section fom cold mains supply to heater maybe split diaphragm ? any help would be appreciated

May have to replace gas section, still get parts for these , but heater has been taken off market,

Not a split diaphragm but if drain hole between gas and water section is blocked AND both the O rings on the push rod in the diaphragm/gas section let by you will get water in the gas section.
Never seen it but anything is possible on such an elderly water heater.

The seal has gone that the pin goes through from the water section the the gas valve probably

You can replace seal however the problem is that when the water dries out in the gas section leaving deposits ,the valve can stick causing not to work or let gas by,we used to strip them down and clean however now I replace and would advise you do the same in this instance as water leakage into gas section seems quite bad

Must have been weeping for a long while to block the drain vent between the two sections tho.

Called back today to check on water heater.Pilot was lit and no signs of water in casing or around boiler parts etc. Not sure whether to replace parts or just wait and see if fault re appears ?

called back today pilot light had gone off casing had a pool of water in. took the water section apart drain hole was full of limescale and blocked. could only see one small o ring at the top of the water section under a wall of limescale.ordered some o rings and other parts go back monday.left heater isolated cold showers for the weekend.

Need the water section replacing. They have two inaccessible 'o' rings which have failed. Prob new multi point as parts are like rocking horse s%*t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called back today replaced diaphragm not split but well worn.also replaced small o ring at the top of the push rod.Cleaned and dried out gas section. No more LEAKS . annual service is due next month so will check on visit.

It was an easy one. think the diaphragm will out live the water heater this time

It was an easy one. think the diaphragm will out live the water heater this time

You never know, you may get a callout in twenty years time for the same fault.
Best get a spare O ring and diaphragm in readiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water in the Gas section. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock