Search the forum,

Discuss Void under shower tray former in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Void under shower former
My recently installed solid resin shower tray / wet room former has around 4mm flex across a dinner plate sized area in the middle. It's on a concrete base that was unevenly screeded over. The gap will likely be under 10mm. It has not yet been tanked or tiled but would be a pain to entirely reinstall. Instead of taking the former out I'm thinking to drill a few small holes and inject a solution ( epoxy/polyester resin/ expanding foam) from the top of the tray to fill the voids underneath. Any thoughts appreciated.

Remove and re install with it fully beaded down

7 months on from my original post and the tray is functioning well. To stabilise the void I injected low-expanding memory foam into 20 holes drilled through the tray into the void. What was injected through one hole would eventually emerge from other holes giving confidence the foam had filled the entire void. 2 days on and the tray was entirely rigid and ready for tanking and tiles. Was this the optimum way to install the tray ? No. Was it a bodge ? I would argue not entirely as the remedial foam was not the primary support to the tray but complimentary. It provided stability that would later be further strengthened by the addition of large tiles that spread the load more broadly across the trays surface.
The time, cost and stress implications of removing what had been installed didn't bear thinking about.
Perfection shouldn't be the enemy of the good ( or at least workable solution).

Good the hear your solution appears to have worked well. As you say there's always a workable solution if you put your mind to it. When paying a professional to do it though I'm not sure you'd want to see a can of expanding foam being used on you wet floor former!! Ha

Reply to Void under shower tray former in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock