Search the forum,

Discuss Used van warranty who knows in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I might be picking up a van tomorrow, from a dealer. Not a crazy amount of money but enough. Says there is a 3 month warranty. I have had a look at citizens advice - not sure how reliable the info is. Hoping someone on here is clued up. I thought as a company selling a vehicle, then the vehicle must be as described and reliable. If a month after I buy it the van wheels fall off and the engine falls out then I'm within my rights to go back and get a refund/repairs etc.

so is a warranty worth anything because from what I have seen there is no need to advertise a warranty.

I realise it's a risk buying second hand which I accept but I also don't want to see my money go down the drain.

Last edited:
its a long time since I was in the motor trade Ash , but I dont think anything has changed.
A garage pay a warrenty company a sum of money and it is literally an insurance policy.
Depending on the small print and the amount the garage has paid will determine the amount of cover , and it usualy only covers the main stuff . They generaly are very basic policys that just help sell the vehicle .
What I would suggest , is try find or pay sombody to look it over for you , secondhand vans are normaly well used.

If you haven't signed up for it and don't need it immediately take a look at commercial auctions. You can get a lot of good deals there on ex lease vans which have mostly (depending where they are coming from) been well maintained.
As it is mostly dealers who are there, they won't pay over the odds so it gives you a bit to play with.

its a long time since I was in the motor trade Ash , but I dont think anything has changed.
A garage pay a warrenty company a sum of money and it is literally an insurance policy.
Depending on the small print and the amount the garage has paid will determine the amount of cover , and it usualy only covers the main stuff . They generaly are very basic policys that just help sell the vehicle .
What I would suggest , is try find or pay sombody to look it over for you , secondhand vans are normaly well used.

Thanks. That was the plan, to take someone who knows. I was going to ask a local mechanic to come along and pay them but I haven't had time to sort it because I didn't know if I'd be working or not. I'm not really in a position to buy new, I wouldn't be petting anything special but 2-3 years use would be good.

If you haven't signed up for it and don't need it immediately take a look at commercial auctions. You can get a lot of good deals there on ex lease vans which have mostly (depending where they are coming from) been well maintained.
As it is mostly dealers who are there, they won't pay over the odds so it gives you a bit to play with.

No have not signed anything. Not really in a rush but don't have a lot of free time, if I don't buy tomorrow won't get another chance for 3 weeks. I will have a look at commercial auctions. Thanks.

Commercial are usually done midweek so you need a day off to attend.

Scotland for ya
We go regular cause the wife has family there sometimes its like going back in time

3 months warranty is just a selling point like how we use 8 years guarantee on boilers!

All garages will be funny about having to do any repairs under the 3 months gesture I imagine!

Just remember to check the basics, hpi check, a free check online with highlight the mot dates which helps cross defence mileage each year & any advisories from the previous mot! Check for a good service history including the cambelt & waterpump interval as this is a 500/600 pound job & dues every 4/5 years on most vans!

Tyres, brakes, visible oil leaks & a test drive are all easy things to check too!

I have decided to wait a few weeks, wait until I have a week off work then have a look round. Picking my work van up in the morning after having the brakes done will see if I can get talking to one of the service guys and see if they would be happy to tag along one morning for a fee.

Like I said I don't want anything special just something reliable. Looking at spending 3k ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Used van warranty who knows in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock