Discuss trac pipe how much gas can it carry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sheff paul

as the title says,doing a bit of new build subbing on a new apartment block,they have got me gas testing and commissioning on Monday.The problem I can see is that the gas meter is in a floor mounted box ,next to the garage,the top floor apartment is 4 floors high including the garage level,they have got 22 mm of the meter,4 elbows,then is disappears into the building in trac pipe,the boiler is a 15 kw system boiler,and a hotplate,situated about 35 metres away,i think it may struggle to achieve a 1mbar drop across the system unless trac pipe is wonder stuff with zero resistance,just going to flick on there website now

its not far off the same as other materials. If you checkout the trac pipe website, and the instructions they give you the info for pipe sizing. From what you have discribed the pipework is to small. Doing a working pressure at the meter and at the test point where it enters the flat at the aecv. You will know for sure then. If you test at the boiler you will get the "the MI say its ok" statement from your gaffa.

i did some 4 storey flats years back and we used 28 on the ground and first floor, and 32 on the other floor if memory serves me.

Last edited:
its not far off the same as other materials. If you checkout the trac pipe website, and the instructions they give you the info for pipe sizing. From what you have discribed the pipework is to small. Doing a working pressure at the meter and at the test point where it enters the flat at the aecv. You will know for sure then. If you test at the boiler you will get the "the MI say its ok" statement from your gaffa.

i did some 4 storey flats years back and we used 28 on the ground and first floor, and 32 on the other floor if memory serves me.

too right AW amazing how many plumbers ive come across don't test the meter for working pressure,just read the boiler spiel and say ''its ok over 15 mb'',even though they have a healthy 21mb at the meter

that 15mb will be having min working pressure of 19mb, a 1mb drop across the pipework giving 18mb at the boiler inlet, then allowing the manufacturers pipework drop inside the boiler which is normally 1-2.5mb depending on the boiler.

have they fitted aecv's at the point of entry or just outside the front door? ive seen jobs where they have run the gas pipe from external meter to boiler cupboard in the middle of the flat with the aecv under the boiler. So when you turn it off it does not isolate any of the actual pipework in the screed just the meter under the boiler. It had to all be alterd.

I'd always rather have a gas pipe too big than too small, as you say it's a long run of 22mm...

Flats always the same. Builders too. Bet track pipe was dragged in by labourers and in a right mess!

that 15mb will be having min working pressure of 19mb, a 1mb drop across the pipework giving 18mb at the boiler inlet, then allowing the manufacturers pipework drop inside the boiler which is normally 1-2.5mb depending on the boiler.

have they fitted aecv's at the point of entry or just outside the front door? ive seen jobs where they have run the gas pipe from external meter to boiler cupboard in the middle of the flat with the aecv under the boiler. So when you turn it off it does not isolate any of the actual pipework in the screed just the meter under the boiler. It had to all be alterd.

funny you say that,the aecv is under the sink,a long way from where the pipe enters the building

Then I don't think the pipework meet the regs. The Acev should isolate the entire pipework in the flat. What happens when they smell gas, turn off the Aecv assuming they have isolated it and are safe? While the pipe work before the Aecv inside the flat is still leaking.

Last edited:
Then I don't think the pipework meet the regs. The Acev should isolate the entire pipework in the flat. What happens when they smell gas, turn off the Aecv assuming they have isolated it and are safe? While the pipe work before the Aecv inside the flat is still leaking.

You are right, but it can be a real nightmare trying to get one in an accessible place on point of entry to the building. I think the regs state as close as is practically possible or something. Its not always possible for it to isolate every joint or fitting inside the flat.

We have seen them at the front door behind flaps.... Only issue is they at 10' from floor and label had been painted over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to trac pipe how much gas can it carry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock