Search the forum,

Discuss Slight leak after changing float valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I was just hoping for a bit of advice. I recently had to change the float valve in my toilet and did it myself as it seemed quite straightforward. The old valve seemed to have been stuck in with sealant so it was quite hard to get out. I fitted the new valve but noticed a very slight leak underneath the cistern. I removed the new valve to investigate, and I think there's an issue with getting a good seal between the valve and cistern.

I took a picture of both sides of the cistern. Is it normal to have a rubber insert in the hole? At first I just thought it was sealant, but after I took the picture I could see a pattern on the bottom of it. Does it look as though I've damaged it and can it be replaced? Or is there anything else I should be checking?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://i.*********/TlZdxK0.jpg
Imgur

Agree with the above need to remove the old silicon

Time to get the Stanley blade and old chisel out

Thanks everyone. I have some sealant remover already so I'll give it a try tomorrow. Seems silly now, but it's in quite a tight space and I didn't realise that the sealant was separate to the rubber around the hole.

This is the valve I bought - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/opella-bottom-entry-toilet-cistern-float-valve-part-3/52836

If you look at the picture in the link you can see the Black rubber seal, now some members will disagree with me but I apply a heavy smear of LSX sealent to mine and wipe the excess away before filling the cistern with water.

If you look at the picture in the link you can see the Black rubber seal, now some members will disagree with me but I apply a heavy smear of LSX sealent to mine and wipe the excess away before filling the cistern with water.
Shouldn’t need it to be honest though mate. Not once all the silicone has been scrapped away.

Looks like you overtightened it! The ceramic is all breaking away!! New cistern time or a bodge with lots of silicone!!!

Reply to Slight leak after changing float valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock