Search the forum,

Discuss Shower tray next to window. Enclosure options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi everyone

Started a job today, bath out and put in tray.

I've advised against it but cust adamant. The tray is going in the corner but there is no where to fix an enclosure along one side because there is a window there.

I explained all this to them, even if I was to put an enclosure in water would still go behind the rail during use and run to the floor.

The only option at the minute is curtain across the window and an angled rail going around the tray with a curtain.

It will look as bad as it sounds.

No option of putting in smaller window.

Is there anything designed for situations like this?

Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now this may be a big Nono to the clients tasts

Could you block off the right hand pain of the window like in the bottom section of the window pic ?

Now make a frame the size/ width of the screen set (e.g. Boxing the required amount you need plus 2")

And then multi panel or wall board (what ever there called over the top and the return to the window

If you understand??

Don't know what do you think

IMG_2851.JPG

Now this may be a big Nono to the clients tasts

Could you block off the right hand pain of the window like in the bottom section of the window pic ?

Now make a frame the size/ width of the screen set (e.g. Boxing the required amount you need plus 2")

And then multi panel or wall board (what ever there called over the top and the return to the window

If you understand??

Don't know what do you think

View attachment 30457

Thanks, this is along the lines of what I have spoken to them about just so there is somewhere to fix the enclosure. It's not going to look pretty, but will give them what they want.

Interesting as I'm in a similar boat and my local friendly plumbers' merchants don't really know, as usual.

Do enclosure manufacturers not make kits to allow the glass screen to go on three sides of the tray? There must be a market for this sort of thing!

Very limited one to be honest, if there was a commercially viable market they would do them already. I can count on 2 fingers where this has been an issue in 9 years of fitting bathrooms. I got round it with glass blocks like someone else has said.

Other plumbers merchants have suggested I can use a sliding door on a rectangular tray and two side panels. Will work, if you're not committed to a quadrant and don't mind a slight gap between the window and the shower tray panel (and that's what I'm going to base my quote on).

True, but customer is 90, in sheltered housing, and this is his only bathroom. He said if if he ever gets really disabled, he'd want to move to a care home anyway. Customer can't see well and already has tiles that don't match and really doesn't care that much. He's already had quotes saying he must change his dangerous (?!) mixer shower (balanced pressures, unvented cylinder, so what's wrong with it?) for an electric one, and I think he wants what he wants.

Do I really tell him I have to put glass blocks over two feet of his window and he has to wait a few extra days without a working shower while I remove the existing tiled sill and then lay blocks and wait while mortar (and grout?) sets? Also, I would then have to screw into those glass blocks as the window finishes higher than the enclosure will - is this even possible? Or do I just say there will be a gap between the enclosure and window and he (or his cleaner) will have to use a feather duster or similar (which is exactly the status quo which he's happy with).

Can you see where I'm coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower tray next to window. Enclosure options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock