Discuss Shower Sealant failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy fry

Hi,

I've fitted a shower tray and enclosure at a customers house. Followed what i believe to be all the key rules, the tray is firm and level, tiled down onto the tray, sealed all the way around the tray before putting the enclosure profiles on. But I've felt the underside of the silicone is wet as it comes down the front edge of the tray, outside the enclosure. I could understand this if water was getting down behind the enclosure profile but as mentioned the whole tray got sealed before hand.

I would love some advice from people who may have come across this before or could the water be getting through else where? I have sealed around the whole of the out side of the enclosure. I'm a little reluctant to take the enclosure off as its in between two tiles walls and was a bugger to get in. (Possibily disturbing the silicone when installed??)

thanks guys,

I use good quality silicone. On this particular job it was unibond sanitary sealant (cream) let that dry etc, fitted the enclosure and went over the top with dow corning 785 (clear).

Well - if you used good quality silicone and it cracks/leaks after a few months and I use cheap stuff and it doesn't perhaps we're all better off with cheap stuff and trusting that we'll be called out occasionally but will save £££'s over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower Sealant failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back