Currently reading:
Shower mixer tap washer replacement

Discuss Shower mixer tap washer replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maxg

Hi all,

having a bit of a nightmare here, have a Architeckt Glacier Deck Mounted Bath Shower Mixer Tap bought from Plumb World. I have cold water coming from the cold side with good pressure but no hot water coming through. My hot water pipe is fine as I have hot water coming from the basin tap. So from reading the forums and doing a bit more research I need to replace the washers but how do I get into the tap to replace the washers ? There is a screw on top of the actual tap which unscrews and doesn't seem to do anything and when I remove the actual cover and lift it up there's no where for a spanner to remove the spindle. Any Ideas please.

Attachments

• mixer shower tap.jpg
    mixer shower tap.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
Once you have removed the screw from the top which holds the handle in place the handle will pull off, it usually needs some persuasion. The collar around the base of the tap will unscrew, I use a pair of grips and a strip of leather in the jaws to protect the chrome. This will expose the valve which can be unscrewed with a spanner. Don't forget to turn the hot water supply off first.

Thanks Paulus, found a c-clip holding the handle onto the spindle, totally impossible to get anything in there to remove the c-clip, not even c-clip pliers. That will teach me for buying a cheap set of mixer taps lol , will pop down to B&Q tomorrow and buy a new set, gonna cost me £80 - £120 instead of a £1 set of washers. Thanks for your help

It very possibly is not simply a tap washer!
Very often & more likely the hot side on modern taps, the entire works will have closed partly or fully off & if this is your problem you will have to take the works (spindle) apart & grease it with silicone grease or similar or replace the entire works.

No it's all moulded together, all that silver on that base and tap is a plastic moulded cover. Friend suggested I use a mini hack saw and cut it all round where it comes to like a bell end (no un lol) and then super glue it when I'm done, which has been a good idea as I've sawed through the plastic and have got to the spindle now, and all the bloody thing needs is a bit of silicon grease and descaling.... All this for such a simple repair :(

Thanks for all your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower mixer tap washer replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock