Discuss servicing adverts £49 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole idea of what a service is has been swayed by BG's idea of a "service" which in reality is nothing more than a combustion check. It is not a matter of us not doing it to other companies standards , maybe more a case of they are not doing it to ours as it doesn't fit with their business model and practices.

A look through any mi's will give a list of checks and procedures that should be carried out during a service and afaik every one of them require removing the case no matter which boiler it is.

Next time the car is in for a service maybe the mechanic will just stick his analyser up the exhaust, check the fluid levels and tell me it is fine. Not my idea of a service and not what i am paying for.

But if my mechanic charged me half price and did a check to prove it is running perfectly, I would probably go with that, rather than charge at least double the price and only change a couple of £1 filters.
You see its down to choice, either pay £49 and get a certificate and a report to say its working fine, or pay £100 and get a certificate and and the same report (if you are lucky, as these guys think a old service means they dont need an analyser) to prove its working OK. Oh but yes I forgot it may also have been hoovered out.
I prefer to side with BG than you.

Well you are wrong. You should be taking the case off and giving the appliance a visual inspection as the very least, if you arent even doing that then you are ripping customers off.

One analyser check does not comfirm that everything is "running fine", if you believe that then you have no clue about boilers and really shouldnt be working on them and declaring them safe.

I being an old git worked for BG before it was BG. In my service it went from being a service provider to merely a sales machine and customers are falling for this rubbish
I'd be happy to keep an Ideal Mexico in service if it was safe rather than bulling the customer into a new boiler et al which will only last a fraction of the life of their existing boiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
removing the cas on most he boilers isnt a big problem its opening the combustion chambers that you want to avoid
fga and gas rate is the important bits and a visual of the seals flue etc

Well you are wrong. You should be taking the case off and giving the appliance a visual inspection as the very least, if you arent even doing that then you are ripping customers off.

One analyser check does not comfirm that everything is "running fine", if you believe that then you have no clue about boilers and really shouldnt be working on them and declaring them safe.

Not me, just British Gas, E-On etc etc, I have said a few times. I dont do servicing, I only use FGA for checking new boilers and cookers etc.
Ask BG or even GSR why you dont have to remove the casing.

removing the cas on most he boilers isnt a big problem its opening the combustion chambers that you want to avoid
fga and gas rate is the important bits and a visual of the seals flue etc

wouldn't that be a gas check tho not a service?

I have worked for BG in the past and you certainly do have to remove the case as per their servicing procedure.

No, BG etc class this as a Service, as do most companies.
This is why many companies and sole traders will do a service for half the cost of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to servicing adverts £49 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock