Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss seized bayonet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambrosia

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
does anyone know any tricks to free a seized bayonet

had an old lady whos cooker was 40 years old (she still had the paperwork), the hob had become seriously dangerous

The bayonet hadnt been disconnected for those 40 years and wasnt shifting, pipework was barrel so if i'd cut the bayonet off I didnt have anything to cap it or put a new thread to the pipe.
To make matters worst someone had tiled behind so it was impossible to get enough room to get a grip on the bayonet

Bit of heartbreaking job, couldnt get the oldlady to understand that the cooker was dangerous. Didnt actually have permision to touch it as i was only there for a CP12 and to look at landlords appliances
she was on an assured tennancy so there was no way the landlord was ever going to replace her cooker and she clearly couldnt afford one herself.
It was bank holiday weekend and i was desperate not to turn a vunerable 82 year old ladys gas off and leave her without heating and hot water

Last edited:
I was taught that a bayonet is for tempory removal only.
would have thought in this case you would need to cap the pipe anyway until a new cooker is fitted.
if you did spray some release spray and get the fitting out what's to say it wouldn't be leaking anyway?

youre right

it just it was a difficult situation thats been playing on mind

I think he trying to remove the bayonet fitting Stan to cap the supply. I think you can leave a bayonet as a permanent isolation if you prove it's not passing

You could try this turn the gas off and disconnect bayonet spray with wd40 or similar leave for couple of minutes then give it a tap with a mallet or hammer,hope this helps

:) just re read the original post !
I am sorry pls ignore my 1 st post .
My need to cut house down and apply some wd 40 or 3 in 1 spray ! I had simmar problem and when I finnaly had it out it turn out it was damaged I supposed some one was trying in the past to pull it out without twisting it !

Is,nt it the fact that the bayonet can't be disconnected or ami reading this thread wrong

I think he trying to remove the bayonet fitting Stan to cap the supply. I think you can leave a bayonet as a permanent isolation if you prove it's not passing

Thank you for your post mate ! Made me fully read the original post :)

does anyone know any tricks to free a seized bayonet

had an old lady whos cooker was 40 years old (she still had the paperwork), the hob had become seriously dangerous

The bayonet hadnt been disconnected for those 40 years and wasnt shifting, pipework was barrel so if i'd cut the bayonet off I didnt have anything to cap it or put a new thread to the pipe.
To make matters worst someone had tiled behind so it was impossible to get enough room to get a grip on the bayonet

Bit of heartbreaking job, couldnt get the oldlady to understand that the cooker was dangerous. Didnt actually have permision to touch it as i was only there for a CP12 and to look at landlords appliances
she was on an assured tennancy so there was no way the landlord was ever going to replace her cooker and she clearly couldnt afford one herself.
It was bank holiday weekend and i was desperate not to turn a vunerable 82 year old ladys gas off and leave her without heating and hot water

This might sound a bit harsh but why hadn't you got anything to cap off the barrel? If you're working on gas you should always have fittings to safely cap pipe work in case you need to cap off a dangerous appliance. Even more so if you're out doing CP12s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This might sound a bit harsh but why hadn't you got anything to cap off the barrel? If you're working on gas you should always have fittings to safely cap pipe work in case you need to cap off a dangerous appliance. Even more so if you're out doing CP12s.

Just keep a set of meter disks.

everybody should have a 1/2" plug at the bottom of the tool bag/ box

if its on barrel then get the grips and hammer out and give it a whack.

crikey! just thought, thats one old cooker then?

That's going to go down well with Mrs Jones when you turn her heating off because she's got a fault with her cooker.

At least she won't be dining on the moon because her cooker has blown the kitchen up.

No she'll be dying of hypothermia. Discing the meter will make it safe but it's not always the best course to provide customer satisfaction. Personally I love it when someone has shut off the whole house for a minor fault because I can go in like a knight in shining armour and get some of the appliances up and running again. It gives me a warm glow, especially when I get the job of replacing the faulty appliances.

I don't know what the issue is you can get a load of caps and plugs and probably a case to put them in for less than a tenner.

No she'll be dying of hypothermia. Discing the meter will make it safe but it's not always the best course to provide customer satisfaction. Personally I love it when someone has shut off the whole house for a minor fault because I can go in like a knight in shining armour and get some of the appliances up and running again. It gives me a warm glow, especially when I get the job of replacing the faulty appliances.

Not disagreeing with you there. But I would pop to my local supplier to pick up relevent fittings to make safe. All I was suggesting is that keeping a set of meter caps while you pop out is the best course and least ***bersome solution for van stock

That's fine if you're near to a merchant and they're open but sods law dictates that you'll be ten minutes away from the merchant five minutes before they close. I keep a plastic tool box with one of those organiser things in the lid. The box holds things like PRS10 tape, smoke pellets, spare leak detection fluid etc. The lid holds various fittings for capping off pipes,spare test nipples, meter washers etc.

i cant belive anyone doing landlords or any gas work doesnt carry a mininmum of caps and plugs from 1 inch down to 1/8 inch plus 15 and 22 mm comp caps and meter discs as a last resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to seized bayonet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock