Search the forum,

Discuss SDS Drill bit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

Hi all,

I have recently bought an SDS drill which says it can take bits up to 13mm (keyless chuck)

I am probs being very thick but if I buy bits online who do I know if they will fit? I was looking at a set in tool station but the guys there did not know.

Can anyone let me know if 13mm will cover pretty much all bits (I was looking at a set of 12, 16 and 24mm bit)

Any assistance would be really great and sorry if it is a bit of a school boy question.

hi mate they will say sds on them, or there will/should be a description of what sort of drill there used for.

if you look at where the bit enters the drill/chuck you will see 2 slight notches in it.

hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, cheers for the response - can I assume all SDS bits will be less than 13mm capacity where the bit enters the chuck? Sorry if I am going round in circles. Ta

I think you are getting confused with SDS (Special Direct System) and a keyless chuck.

Many SDS drills come with a keyless chuck as a means of using the drill with wood boring bits, holesaw kits etc, and these will take up to 13mm shank. The keyless chuck has an SDS shank on it which fits into the SDS chuck permanently mounted on the drill. Think of this keyless chuck as a form of adapter.

For your masonry drills, SDS masonry drills come with the SDS shank (10mm diameter) which goes straight into the SDS chuck on the drill (if the keyless chuck is on, you have to take the entire chuck off). With an SDS drill, you would normally only use SDS masonry bits.

To release an SDS drill bit from the chuck, there are two main ways - on some drills, you pull the chuck collar back to release the bit. On others, you twist it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to SDS Drill bit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock