• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Scratching my head (open vent) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Mranon1989

Reaction score
I need to tap in to the central heating due to an extension with underfloor heating that’s gone in. I want to be more than sure before tapping into the system due to its complexity and being an open vent I’m going to freeze the pipes I need to, so I can work on them. I was hoping to double check on here to avoid making a mistake.

The two 28’s I believe are the flow and returns for the cylinder and the two 22’s on the left are for the Heating. I noticed there’s a tee branching off and running alongside the heating pipes. Is that a bypass or the actual vent for the heating? Never worked on these systems before so sorry if I come across as clueless.

I think I’ve attached a photo of the boiler. Thanks!

EE5F2369-DA86-4648-AB8F-94909163C386.jpeg

1A6EC646-1238-4959-9979-EA880D31DE3C.jpeg

Reaction score
Had problems in the past I take it?
IMO open vented and UFH is just bad practice. Air locks, more risk of dirt in system (Imagine a blocked UFH circuit!), more noisy. TBH running UFH off that boiler anyway wouldn't be ideal, they need a new boiler and system upgrade! UFH running more often, the HW is always going to be on due to the gravity. There's loads of reasons for suggesting an upgrade is due.

OP
M

Mranon1989

Reaction score
IMO open vented and UFH is just bad practice. Air locks, more risk of dirt in system (Imagine a blocked UFH circuit!), more noisy. TBH running UFH off that boiler anyway wouldn't be ideal, they need a new boiler and system upgrade! UFH running more often, the HW is always going to be on due to the gravity. There's loads of reasons for suggesting an upgrade is due.
I agree with you, I did suggest ages ago but they were adamant on keeping the same system. I just want to tap into the right pipes, get it running and walk away to be honest.

Reaction score
I agree with you, I did suggest ages ago but they were adamant on keeping the same system. I just want to tap into the right pipes, get it running and walk away to be honest.
To be honest you should have advised them that UFH isn't suitable for that system and refused to do it.

And in terms of getting it going and walking away, I don't think it'll ever work properly. You're opening a can of worms, that I wouldn't be opening :confused:

OP
M

Mranon1989

Reaction score
Well no mention of underfloor not working on open vent systems in the guides used throughout the industry and no one willing to just tell me so I’m just figure it out myself. Thanks for nothing. Lovely peeps

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonG

Trusted
Plumber
Esteemed Member
Reaction score
Pope on a soap, thought the op was a diyer.

Ye gads!!

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom