Search the forum,

Discuss Schoolboy error in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandive

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Oops markadams that was silly Pmsl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 255
No luckily we noticed, only because we need the puller though ;-)

I was in a hurry as it was lunchtime, noticed straight after lunch and only took a minute to resolve but funny never the less. Dean, I will get my own back (-:

That was one of the better carpets, we have seen some really interesting ones recently. (-:

Always thinking about your stomach, can't believe you could stomach lunch after looking at that carpet lol

Ive done 1 thing similar when i put a new valve on a rad , id ripped old olive off and put new valve on and when i went to make sure fitting was dry the old nut was hidding still on pipe , DDOOOOH , in my defense it was a shaggy carpet , never made that mistake again but the crimpers are not hidden ,,,,, lol nice one dean

Ive done 1 thing similar when i put a new valve on a rad , id ripped old olive off and put new valve on and when i went to make sure fitting was dry the old nut was hidding still on pipe , DDOOOOH , in my defense it was a shaggy carpet , never made that mistake again but the crimpers are not hidden ,,,,, lol nice one dean

i have done that as well lol.
i hacksawed it off rather than draining and refilling

I did similar but just left it there and told customer it was a feature.

That's why you should use the rothenberger ones :) (Not only that, one tool for 15,22,28...) We keep the monument ones for when the ollive is halfway down the pipe..

That's why you should use the rothenberger ones :) (Not only that, one tool for 15,22,28...) We keep the monument ones for when the ollive is halfway down the pipe..

I normally just use the old nut and olive, but markadams is a bit more OCD than me lol

if ind them olive removers a load of tosh. i certainly wouldnt waste my time lumping a set about in my tool box.
90% of time i find the nut has been overtightened which means the pipe is throttled slightly and as the olive is compressed on to the pipe the slight reduction in diameter means the cutters dont engage with the olive to remove it. so after trying and failing you still end up having to cut it off.

if you find an olive that hasnt been strangled and with perfectly straight pipe, a situation in which the olive removers would work fine there is still no need as i clamp it with grips gently and waggle it free up the pipe, works every time so why carry an extra tool.....

if ind them olive removers a load of tosh. i certainly wouldnt waste my time lumping a set about in my tool box.
90% of time i find the nut has been overtightened which means the pipe is throttled slightly and as the olive is compressed on to the pipe the slight reduction in diameter means the cutters dont engage with the olive to remove it. so after trying and failing you still end up having to cut it off.

if you find an olive that hasnt been strangled and with perfectly straight pipe, a situation in which the olive removers would work fine there is still no need as i clamp it with grips gently and waggle it free up the pipe, works every time so why carry an extra tool.....

I think they're one of best tools I own. Only time they haven't worked for me is when 2 compression fittings are too close together

I don't own a set, but markadams swears by them, I generally cut and extend, or cut with a Jnr hacksaw and split with a screwdriver. Mark fits all the rads on our jobs and I do the boiler so I normally would bow to his better judgement. Except when the numpty leaves the pullers on the pipe ;-)

Simples we carry them because it saves time. - Same reason for carrying any tool.

There again we also use spanners for compression fittings not wrenches...

Right tool, right job, makes it easier, simpler quicker.

Same reason we use Xpress. mmm.... ÂŁ2k's worth of tools there, pays for itself time and time again.

Simple, quicker, cheaper than end feed joints when you include time and materials.

Simples we carry them because it saves time. - Same reason for carrying any tool.

There again we also use spanners for compression fittings not wrenches...

Right tool, right job, makes it easier, simpler quicker.

Same reason we use Xpress. mmm.... ÂŁ2k's worth of tools there, pays for itself time and time again.

Simple, quicker, cheaper than end feed joints when you include time and materials.

What do you guys use gordon the crimpin fittings?

Well, DeanDive you must like my tools as you use them more than your own. (-:

Well, DeanDive you must like my tools as you use them more than your own. (-:

That way mine last longer ;-) I quite like the idea of mapress type stuff, it looks real neat I've never tried it though. I'm not sure if I'd save much time compared to end feed

DeanDive, Don't do it!! The share price for the manufacturers of solder and flux will plummet. (-:

I would say that I have used Mapress they are very good and quick but the tool is a bit big for tight spaces and the fittings are quite expensive.

The main time I love them is 3 pot valves, I hate trying to wiggle off an olive on the cylinder flow it makes me cringe everytime I do it (I've split a cylinder before wiggling the pipe, It probably would of gone any way but it made it worse)

On 15mm as you said at least half have been tightend by hercules and the pipe is crimped so you need to cut the pipe ou anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Schoolboy error in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hiya fellow gas engineer. Need some help on this boiler fault. Went out to this E133 Error on a Potterton Titanium 24 (GC: 47-393-39) I checked the inlet standing pressure which was at 25mb. Boiler attempts to fire and the pressure drops by 1mb but the gas valve doesn't open. Checked the black...
Replies
Views
N
Have this boiler since last November and have given up on the installer and have another person coming this week. Supplier here in Ireland came out and said there was an issue with the flue install (it's in the attic and exits through the roof close to the chimney). Old installer who has done...
Replies
Views
noxyireland
N
I'm getting an e119 error which I assume is low water pressure. I'm turning the 2 valves that I think should increase pressure but I'm not getting anything. Any ideas?
Replies
Views
M
I have a valliant boiler and for 1 momtj it hasnt been working and has been displaying a con error on the boiler. An engineer bought a new PCB but its still showing this error and i think they may be scamming me. I opened the boiler cover after they left and i can see an unconnected wire Please...
Replies
Views
Hi I have been ringing round trying to have someone call out but it appears all heating engineers are booked up until after xmas so trying to find a solution if possible, any advice is much appreciated. We have an external Calor 1000litre gas tank in the garden and a Potterton boiler, we let...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock