Search the forum,

Discuss S plan blowing fuse any ideas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

AMGasServices

Gas Engineer
Hi,

A friend has s plan system, unvented how water tank, ideal logic heat only boiler and potterton programmer (was changed with like for like about 6 months ago).

It keeps blowing the 3a fuse in the fuse spur. Boilers been turned off at the front of the boiler (the control knob) and issue.

I’m think there is a short of some kind somewhere. Maybe the controls (zone valves or cylinder stat).

Do you guys/girls have any ideas?

Check the wiring also check the pump if it’s getting old it’s requiring more juice to get it going if it’s only blowing on demand

Live to neutral less than 10ohms I think then disconnect things. I would start with the pump myself then fan

Sorry should of said once it goes above 10ohms you have found the problem.

Saves you a pocket full of fuses.

Hi,

A friend has s plan system, unvented how water tank, ideal logic heat only boiler and potterton programmer (was changed with like for like about 6 months ago).

Boilers been turned off at the front of the boiler (the control knob) and issue.

. Maybe the controls (zone valves or cylinder stat).

Do you guys/girls have any ideas?

It keeps blowing the 3a fuse in the fuse spur. I’m think there is a short of some kind somewhere

I suspect you may be right ;)

Have you actually been to the boiler?

Have you / can you use a multimeter? Most dead shorts are traceable within a few minutes. First. talk to client. That often provides a major heads up. Then proceed logically.

Alternatively, visit at night and fit a new 3A fuse. Have your finger on the spur switch. Have an assistant turn off all the lights so it is all pitch black. Then switch on. All should become clear. ;)

:)

It keeps blowing the 3a fuse in the fuse spur. I’m think there is a short of some kind somewhere

I suspect you may be right ;)

Have you actually been to the boiler?

Have you / can you use a multimeter? Most dead shorts are traceable within a few minutes. First. talk to client. That often provides a major heads up. Then proceed logically.

Alternatively, visit at night and fit a new 3A fuse. Have your finger on the spur switch. Have an assistant turn off all the lights so it is all pitch black. Then switch on. All should become clear. ;)

:)

I’m pretty good with a multi meter.

Went up a bit ago. Found PCB fuse blown. Was getting 240 at boiler and 240 at switch live. No voltage at pump live (external pump (Wilo)).

Tomorrow when I get some PCB fuses I’ll start with disconnecting the pump and take it from there. This jobs going to be interesting.
[automerge]1567055707[/automerge]
Thank you for all your assistance. @ShaunCorbs @scott_d @Millsy 82 @firemant @townfanjon

This new update is annoying because i could only see one message.

Last edited:
If you get less than 10ohms or check each component and its 20ohms then that will cause your fault.

After 20 years of turning up to jobs with a pocket full of fuses I learnt that about 3 months ago on a free baxi course I learnt the above. Done it 3 times and it's worked within minutes and no waiting for the flash.

Reply to S plan blowing fuse any ideas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock