Currently reading:
repiped hot and cold supplies now low pressure on hot what could the problem be?

Discuss repiped hot and cold supplies now low pressure on hot what could the problem be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys just finishe a job running new pipe from the mains to the kitchen and bathroom hot and cold supplies. Customer has just phoned me and said that the pressure is low. The old pipe was wider than 15mm and i think it was lead. Now it's all 15mm. Is that the problem?

Hoping to get some replies asap lol because I have to go back now.

Did you put new taps in?

No. I have a feeling i may have repiped wrong somewhere as it was spaghetti junction under the sink. It's a combi and there is hot water coming out the taps. Not sure what I can try to fix it.

No. I have a feeling i may have repiped wrong somewhere as it was spaghetti junction under the sink. It's a combi and there is hot water coming out the taps. Not sure what I can try to fix it.

Hot water coming out hot and cold taps ?

As long as you’ve piped it correct and the new pipework & fittings had no foreign objects or muck inside them prior to the install – you should be good.

There's hot coming out the hot taps and cold water pressure is fine. I have no idea. going to go down there now and try and look like i know what i'm doing. Please keep the replies coming going to take laptop with me.

Was it Ok before you left the house?
Partially closed ISOs?!

It could be a coincidence – the combi is playing up!? It's a long shot though.

No gate valves.

Checked all the iso's, all open, even cracked each one to see what the pressure was like and it wasn't great. There's an initial burst when the tap first comes on but then it dies down, it's the same at all hot taps. Just got back, all i could do was apologise and tell him to call the office in the morning. Not supposed to give number out to clients but it's my second week so told him to call if any problems, thought i could sort it without the office knowing haha.

All I can think is blockage. Knackered.

Any other ideas?

An initial burst is usually caused by a restriction. I'd be checking for kinked pipes and make sure the isolation valve for the cold inlet to the boiler is fully open. Also check the main stop tap is open fully.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Blockage sounds the likely cause, i'll update end of tomorrow.

Just a thought, blockage it is then. Good luck and please post the outcome as I'm curious now.

It won't show up as much on the cold taps as the boiler will have a flow restrictor built in to slow down the flow of water as it passes through the boiler.

Deffo sounds like a bllockage or restriction as mentioned above.
If all taps are affected it is probably before the boiler, i.e. on the incoming mains before it branches off to the boiler. Possible slipped washer in stop tap or kink around there.
I'd service the stop tap, check that line for kinks and replace any ISOs on it, I've seen a few ISOs that have broken inside and appear to be fully open from the outside when they're not.
Good luck!

Incoming cold feed to combi filter. Or debris lodged in boiler iso valve.

Can you check the pressure before the boiler then check the pressure at the first tap off the boiler?

At least that way you are trouble shooting from the start of the system.

Pipe work to boiler boxed in above work top. Stopcock on mains inlet to boiler not fully open, spotted it within 2 minutes of walking back in to the house today. Well chuffed, at least I didnt end up looking stupid in front of my boss! Was too tired last night and not thinking clearly. Alls well......

Every days a school day mate. Next time you'll know where to look straight away and it won't be an issue!

glad you got it sorted though Ash, gives you that wee little smug feeling doesn't it? Even if you didn't see it the night before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to repiped hot and cold supplies now low pressure on hot what could the problem be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock