Currently reading:
radiator popped is this the plumbers fault???

Discuss radiator popped is this the plumbers fault??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryan Kavanagh

hi guys,

just looking for some advice. basically i had a system boiler glow worm 40ff in my house.

today i got it converted to a combi boiler. When the plumber had finished and commissioning the system a radiator poped and now needs replacing. they was water everywere.

the plumber said its not his fault? is it?

i said it been working fine for years. He siad the old system wernt a pressurised system the combi is. So now the system is under pressure it cause the radiator to pop. Is they guy genuine or is he just filling me with carp?

the guy has had quite a few head scratching moments today that has got me thinking.

now he has told me the internal fan has broken on the new boiler and its down to the manufactures to sort that.

thanks for any advice guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
not because i didnt have the hot water or heating for 2 days! but because it was un-necassary for me to be without for that long! dont you agree he should know how to commission a boiler? thats all the problem was he didnt know how to commission it. It was totally un-necassary.

plus leaving live wires arond my house with a 1 and 4 year old.

plus taking all the copper and leaving a load of rubbish(he should take all or nothing, not just the good stuff)

Sorry Ryan , but you can-not refuse payment you will be in the wrong, you can withold payment untill job is finished, ask him to return old pipe etc, did you agree that he would clear away the rubbish ? you have to give him the chance to finish the job,
Are you saying that when the plumber tried the run the boiler it would not work ? did you try to use a hot tap B4 Heat-team turned up, if so then the boiler should have worked ! To commisson the boiler it has to be run for heating / hot water so that you can get the correct readings, read through your boiler instructions it will tell you what has to be done, if all the Heat-team fitter did was to turn on a tap ! then why would it not work when your plumber tried it, somthing not sounding quite right,!!

Getting rid of rubbish can be a nightmare, trade can't dump for free in council tip. He must of course have warned you beforehand?

not because i didnt have the hot water or heating for 2 days! but because it was un-necassary for me to be without for that long! dont you agree he should know how to commission a boiler? thats all the problem was he didnt know how to commission it. It was totally un-necassary.

plus leaving live wires arond my house with a 1 and 4 year old.

plus taking all the copper and leaving a load of rubbish(he should take all or nothing, not just the good stuff)

What boiler is it that needs the tap to run for 5 minutes before it will work?
You have already stated he is coming back so he will take the rubbish then, no plumber leaves valuable scrap on a job for someone else to cash in.
You say wires hanging everywhere, were these live wires? If so then he is at fault for leaving an unsafe situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i normally put into my written quote that scrap metal is taken into account in price and rubbish is only removed at extra cost as i dont have a waste carring lience. Did you get any written details with the quote?

if its a new ga baxi you have to go through a set sequence to get it running as the boiler purges the heat ex and tests the fuel type etc..... maybe that what happened and he did not read how to get the boiler to run the sequence?

As I always think there are two sides to every story, get him to read this thread when he returns, then he can log on and give his side of the story and as a forum we can mediate.

As I always think there are two sides to every story, get him to read this thread when he returns, then he can log on and give his side of the story and as a forum we can mediate.

What a great idea, give the lad a chance to put he's side across.

What boiler is it that needs the tap to run for 5 minutes before it will work?
You have already stated he is coming back so he will take the rubbish then, no plumber leaves valuable scrap on a job for someone else to cash in.
You say wires hanging everywhere, were these live wires? If so then he is at fault for leaving an unsafe situation.

in the cupboard in the landing were he took the copper tank out!

i normally put into my written quote that scrap metal is taken into account in price and rubbish is only removed at extra cost as i dont have a waste carring lience. Did you get any written details with the quote?
Do you not need a waste carrier's licence to carry scrap metal?

if its a new ga baxi you have to go through a set sequence to get it running as the boiler purges the heat ex and tests the fuel type etc..... maybe that what happened and he did not read how to get the boiler to run the sequence?

im not a plumber so cant say for sure! but it was something along the lines of, 2 commission it the hot tap must be left on during commission to let heat out the boiler. the guy didnt know that and wasnt putting the tap on therefore the boiler wouldnt commission. He said it must of been a fault with the boiler.

thats why im annoyyed. its simply just needed commissing! and i was left without hot water or heating for 2 day becuase he didnt know how to do that.

not sure! im just annoyed he took the good stuff he could fit in his van and left the other rubbish! ye cant have the cake and eat it. either take the lot ot leave the lot. thats my opinion anyway

im not a plumber so cant say for sure! but it was something along the lines of, 2 commission it the hot tap must be left on during commission to let heat out the boiler. the guy didnt know that and wasnt putting the tap on therefore the boiler wouldnt commission. He said it must of been a fault with the boiler.

thats why im annoyyed. its simply just needed commissing! and i was left without hot water or heating for 2 day becuase he didnt know how to do that.

maybe he did not read the instruction book correctly? either way if it was uncommissioned the bolier should not have been left connected to the gas supply.

not sure! im just annoyed he took the good stuff he could fit in his van and left the other rubbish! ye cant have the cake and eat it. either take the lot ot leave the lot. thats my opinion anyway

I left loads of copper and a cylinder on a job once, when I returned it was all gone, so never again lol maybe he could only take so much at once.
If he left a live wire just hanging there, then there is no excuse for that, he should of made safe.

or he should of just asked if it okay to take! i never realised it was gone! i was planning on selling it myself to someone down the road

I left loads of copper and a cylinder on a job once, when I returned it was all gone, so never again lol maybe he could only take so much at once.
If he left a live wire just hanging there, then there is no excuse for that, he should of made safe.

thats my point! he took the good stuff, then said later am i okay to get rid of whats left! didnt realise at the time what he was playing at.

I always tell my customers that the rubbish is their responsibility, or I'll order them a skip and charge at cost. Got sick of having a garage full of shower screens and other stuff I can't get rid of. We cant go to the tip, and the councils wonder why dodgy builders are always fly-tipping! Scrap is a perk of the job.

I just had a look at the commissioning section of the MI's and all it says about the hot tap is "Open all hot water taps to purge the DHW system".

No period of time is specified for purging tho I do notice that the instructions don't actually state that the taps should be turned off lol.

I suspect that the engineer didn't follow the commissioning procedure but was there a reason why he might have been distracted.

As has already been said, we are only getting one side of the story.

They interrogate you at my local tip like you're trying to dump depleted uranium. It’s ridiculous. Anything more than a broken boiler or an old loo, and I have to hire a skip as they won't let me in.

Of course I have to pass this cost on, and it's in my terms/price. I've been turned away before, and been so tempted to bloody fly tip it. Instead I've gone home, put the rubbish in the car, and gone back. Then they don't blink an eye. Crazy.

Not the plumbers fault but he should have made you aware of the risk before the job. I has summit similar on a system where there was a screw into existing pipework which had been there years, started leaking after i fitted a combi to the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to radiator popped is this the plumbers fault??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock