Currently reading:
Problems with Heating and Hot Water

Discuss Problems with Heating and Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Dyer

I have a problem with my central heating/boiler/water tank.

I'll try and provide as much info as possible...!

Boiler - Baxi System Boiler - System 35/60

Boiler Control Unit (BCU) - Honeywell

Room Thermo - Honeywell (in living room)

Radiators all have TRV's

Water Tank in Airing cupboard which has a 3 way valve

I have an intermittent issue where sometimes I don't have any hot water at all, even if the boiler has been on all day. I have tried the following scenarios to aid diagnosis...

On the BCU I have both heating and hot water on 24 hours (i.e. all the time)

Issues noticed:

Room thermostat doesn't affect the control of the heating - it will click on. or off (audible click) when passing through the temperature in the room, as expected, but it doesn't seem to turn the boiler off which I believe it should do.

There can be hot water available, but occasionally there isn't any at all.

On the BCU I have ONLY hot water on 24 hours

If I only have the hot water on, I still notice that some radiators still get warm (in fact some get extremely hot!), but they can be controlled by the TRV.

There can be hot water available, but occasionally there isn't any at all.

On the BCU I have ONLY heating on 24 hours

Room thermostat doesn't affect the control of the heating - it will click on. or off (audible click) when passing through the temperature in the room, as expected, but it doesn't seem to turn the boiler off which I believe it should do.

There isn't any hot water at all when I have used what is in the tank in the airing cupboard (as expected because the water hasn't been on)

I can use the timing facility to control whether the boiler is in use or not, i.e. twice a day, and that appears to work in that it controls whether the boiler is able to fire up or not.

My issues are that I don't know whether I will have hot water from day to day and as a result my good lady insists on running the hot water on the boiler 24 hours a day (excessive cost...!) in the hope that we'll have some for a shower in the morning.

We rent the property, and the landlord seems to be happy to think that we're OK if we have hot water and there isn't a problem if we do (i.e. he sends a plumber round to get the hot water working, usually by banging the 3 way valve, which I can do!) I'm sure the landlord is beginning to think we're nutters who don't know how to use a boiler..!

The history of the installation includes the plumber replacing the 3 way valve to give us hot water again, albeit intermittently. He has also replaced the aging BCU which was an old dial type honeywell with the newer digital display one, because the heating was coming on when I selected hot water etc... (similar to current problems). Now, the plumber is saying he doesn't know what else to do, and appears resigned to leave us with a system that we cant control for efficiency.

My theories include that there may be a problem with the 3 way valve, but I also think that the BCU has also been wired up wrong - but the plumber either wont acknowledge that because he fitted it or he doesn't know how to do it properly in the first place...!

I am aiming to get another plumber out to check the installation, but I may have to foot the bill myself. Please advise.

thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems with Heating and Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock