Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Problem,leaking ispection hatch 4" Terrain soil stack in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Pssst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, i normally hang around in the gas safe forum as thats my speciality. I am just investigating some damp skirting board in the house which is at the boxing in for the internal vertical soil stack. Anyway ive ripped the boarding off and discovered a 4" Terrain soil stack with an inspection cover at the base secured with a single screw in the centre. The gasket has clearly crumbled as when there is high drain flow, ie bath emptying,,is Soding out big time. The question is, can i get a new gasket? if i try and undo the screw is it likely to shear off internally? whats inside and how does the screw secure? if it shears off, what are my possible solutions? The pipe would be about 40 years old from new build.

Thanks all
[automerge]1589643326[/automerge]
Now sorted !...undid central screw and with a bit of wiggling the cover came loose but not away from the pipe as its retained by an internal flange. It slides down to uncover a vertical hole in the soil stack for rodding/inspection. The marks on the pipe indicated that whoever had originally fitted the cover had not centralised it so the top left hand corner was barely being covered by the gasket. Fast forward and it started lashing out at that point. I think it had been weeping for years and had just been tricking down and under the concrete raft into the earth ! .Slid it down,cleaned up the surfaces and marked the central points on the pipe. Recentered the cover and tightened screw,,job done,,hopefully this info will be useful for others.

Attachments

• IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Reply to Problem,leaking ispection hatch 4" Terrain soil stack in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock