Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss potterton profile in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej-ay

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys:smilewinkgrin: thanks for all your previous replies, you dont know how helpful they were, anyway i got called to a house, and the lady complained that the radiator was hot despite the fact that the room stat wasnt calling for heat....
I got there it was a conventional system three port valve and i checked it by pushing the valve manually and observing and it returned but not fully...i checked with my multimeter, there wasnt any power on the live switch...
would changing the divertor valve solve the problem, or the programmer, and room stat also have to be changed? thanks for your relies

Sounds like the diverter is passing ej-ay :) Is it a radiator near the diverter and not an old 'towel rail' radiator?

She probably has had this problem for years ( or inherited the problem ). The hot water return is not cut back far enough and is tracking otherwise other rads would warm up. IMHO
Tell her to get her purse out, or turn rad off. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
may be she inherited the problem but she isnt very happy at the moment, specially when i left without fixing it...

Hi diamondgas i dint ask her which rad was getting hot, but we established that it was the divertor valve was the problem, so fixing should solve the problem or do we need to change the rrom stat and programmer too. thanks:smilewinkgrin:

Diverter should solve the problem if it's passing ej-ay. On h/w only the valve should be at rest. Turn the spur off and see if it moves any further back to rest position. That;ll tel you whether it's getting any external power moving it IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
If you run on hot water only from cold you will be able to feel if the 3 port is passing or not. Are you sure the rad isnt on the primaries? Could also be reverse circulating if the hot water return isnt piped up correctly.

As Tipintim and mfgs said feel the pipes at the valve and you will know if it is passing but if it is only the 1 or 2 rads it is probably back circulation. Check by having it on for HW and feeling the pipes on the rad to see which is hottest. Turn the heating on and if it is the opposite one the system needs altering.

The customer will be even more not happy if you change the valve and it still does it and even worse if you swap the programmer and stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to potterton profile in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock