Search the forum,

Discuss pilot light and over heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MakeDo93

2 years ago the pilot light in my potterton kingfisher II wouldn't light and an engineer changed the gas sensor for it. That fixed the problem, but I've noticed that he turned the boilers thermostat up to max, and since then after switching the boiler off the pilot light goes out aswell and I have to relight it. It's not a huge issue as once its relit it stays lit until after I have used the boiler. The boiler casing also gets hot to the touch aswell. Do you think the pilot light goes off due to the thermo being up to max and making the unit too hot?

P.s he did service the boiler aswell, and he said apart from the unit looking it's age the flame and everything still look healthy.

2 years ago the pilot light in my potterton kingfisher II wouldn't light and an engineer changed the gas sensor for it. That fixed the problem, but I've noticed that he turned the boilers thermostat up to max, and since then after switching the boiler off the pilot light goes out aswell and I have to relight it. It's not a huge issue as once its relit it stays lit until after I have used the boiler. The boiler casing also gets hot to the touch aswell. Do you think the pilot light goes off due to the thermo being up to max and making the unit too hot?

P.s he did service the boiler aswell, and he said apart from the unit looking it's age the flame and everything still look healthy.
No that is not the reason.
You need to get a reputable gas safe registered engineer local to you to check the boiler and repair the fault.
You should not have to relight the pilot regularly.
The forum rules prohibit discussing the repair of such faults on the open forum. Keep yourself and your home safe and get it repaired. Like any combustion appliance it should be serviced annually as faults like this would be picked up and then rectified without you having to try and decipher boiler faults yourself via the internet.

Firstly I would be turning the boiler thermostat down.

Secondly, I would be getting someone in to take a look at it.

It's not a good sign when the pilot light goes off when the boiler is operating - built in safety feature.

Nor is it a good sign when the casing is hot to touch - built in human sensory feature.

Not a good situation - for your boiler and more importantly you and your home.

It doesn't go out when the boiler is operating, only if it hasn't been used for a day or 2. Also it has an grill kind of wall vent in an alley, so when the wind blows up there I can hear it coming in the boiler flu, which I have told could be the reason.

Incase anyone is interested, I have *fingers crossed* sorted it. I read the manual and switched it into reset mode then relit it. So far it's looking good.

Incase anyone is interested, I have *fingers crossed* sorted it. I read the manual and switched it into reset mode then relit it. So far it's looking good.
Glad you were able to resolve the issue without undertaking a repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pilot light and over heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock