Currently reading:
Payment advice please?

Discuss Payment advice please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBV

I work for a small plumbing firm. have been with them for 3 years. got my NVQ level 2, but I still haven't had a pay rise since the day I started.

I know I really shouldn't moan as I'm extremely lucky to have a job.

Would just like to know what day rate you would pay an apprentice at this level?

I realize until I have my level 3 and gas I won't be on amazing money, but would b good to get a small rise even if it just shows me that i'm worth more!!

Cheers.

Sorry BBV we don't discuss pricing in the open forum , but as a rule if you look on the job centre web site you'll see what company's are offering

Groombridge. Used to go climbing at Harrisons Rocks near you.

Back when I was a lot slimmer that is...

Oh Right.......I live about a mile away from harrisons. It's good for climbing, but getting a bit busy these days. Bowles or High rocks is better :).

Actually preferred Toad Rocks. Bowles always was for posers lol

Hard times but you have no option but keep your head down and hang in there.

You are getting the experience which is priceless for your future.

I'd just like to point out that you should be getting at least the national minimum wage.

If your getting less than this, then it's not right.

From personal experiance ( which is going on as we speak) test the waters about a payrise, make it a joke

it would be nice to have one but if you hang in there and get that gas safe logo
its worth being on the crap pay. Hang in there!

Cheers. will hang in there. Have joked around about it in the past.....and other trades have said. "you must be on good money now" I would laugh and say "am I" looking at my boss. don't want to push it.

Just to maybe make you feel a little better, my wife is a senior lawyer in her field and hasn't had a pay rise for 5 years due to the state of the economy.

I would recommend you ask the boss straight out - no joking and hinting.
I know some employers in construction who NEVER offer a pay rise but will give one if you ask - and all their workers are on different rates with some of the best guys on the lowest pay because they have never asked.

It is totally reasonable to say - you have been on the same rate of pay for 3 years can you expect a pay rise at any point in the forseeable future.

Boss may say she (or he) will think about out it, may say yes or no.
What harm can it do?

Think about a response to give him after you ask and he turns round and says 'why?'.

I would recommend you ask the boss straight out - no joking and hinting.

It is totally reasonable to say - you have been on the same rate of pay for 3 years can you expect a pay rise at any point in the forseeable future.

Boss may say she (or he) will think about out it, may say yes or no.
What harm can it do?

^^^ Do this

But as per the following post, also have an answer ready when he asks "why?"

I was on rubbish wages for years when training, I was the lowest payed when I was at college.
i didn't mind because I was being trained by someone who done a wide range within plumbing & heating so I was being taught everything. Others were used for cheap labour combi bashing or simply small maintenance jobs ok got payed more but learnt sod all, some were also let go as soon as they qualified.
when you qualify you will be expected to be competent in your line of work.

When you qualify, move, or you'll always be 'the apprentice'.

Thats what I did. Worked for me!

In answer to the op if you don't ask you don't get. But you are so close to qualifying don't rock the boat to much. There are guys who would give their dangly bits to be in your position.

Don't ask don't get.
Ask for some price work. Plumbing of course.
When my old Apprentis was good enough he done all the little dirty jobs I would usually refuse. He earned good money and I made a bit on top. Win win.

Yeah that's true.....just need to find the right moment and ask. I would struggle to ask, but just gotta do it!!! cheers :)

When you qualify, move, or you'll always be 'the apprentice'.
Would be wise to move because I can see myself always being the apprentice. Did some work for two other plumbers while my boss was away last year. Learnt tons!! good to change.

Good luck with asking and let us know how you get on.

your next thread will start with either ~

1. Looking for a plumber to take me on
Or
2. Yeeepeee it worked I got a pay rise of 50p/hr

I have to just wait now for my qualifications, i rocked the boat and my boss doubled my wages but thats because i mainly work by myself for him. Weigh up the situation, point out abit more money means more tools and such. Makes you a better employee.

If your employer is a member of the HVCA you should be able to find pay rates on google.

I have to just wait now for my qualifications, i rocked the boat and my boss doubled my wages but thats because i mainly work by myself for him. Weigh up the situation, point out abit more money means more tools and such. Makes you a better employee.
Cheers, sounds like you have a good boss! Where are you based in kent?

Over at maidstone :) groombridge is a nice area actually! Woke up there once after a night out in t wells. Village hall entrance in the flower bed/bush area!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Payment advice please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock