Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss oven thermocouple? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Did a safety check on an oven yesterday and found that when you turn the oven on it immediately lets through a lot of gas or a small amount according to what number the dial is on

I.E on 1 the flame will light fairly small but on 9 it will come up to max flame without starting off small.

The size of the flame regulates according to temprature setting so I think the oven thermostat is ok.

I assumed it was a fault with the FFD so I ID'd it and said they need a new one.

Parts stockists came back to me saying it was not an FFD its an oven thermocouple. If thats the case it is probably working correctly. Can anyone confirm for sure that with a thermocouple it should not start at min flame?

Thanks alot

A thermocouple FFD is either on or off at full rate (assuming the oven is cool) and you would need to press and hold a button or knob after lighting the burner to get it to hold.
The thermostat only varies the flame height when the set temperature has been or is close to being reached.
Have you the model or GC no of the cooker?

its a beko oven, I can get the model number tomorrow, there was no GC on it. So if its a thermocouple type do you think its working correctly?

its a beko oven, I can get the model number tomorrow, there was no GC on it. So if its a thermocouple type do you think its working correctly?

If it's a t/c, as mountainman says, you have to hold in the control knob to establish the flame. Just turning the knob should'n allow gas through until you press it in :) Small flame rising to large points more to a mercury vapour type FFD.

is it the type with the flame at the back or one with the burner under the oven (the ones where you just have a few peep holes in the oven floor to see the flame)

A thermocouple with a thermo electric valve is an FFD

A Mercury vapour is more likely to be an FSD

Does the oven have a FSD or just an FFD?

Did you check the operation of the thermostat/bypass?
Did you check the operation of the FFD?

sounds like the thing was working correctly, i would first check the instructions or maybe phone the manufacture for advise?

is it the type with the flame at the back or one with the burner under the oven (the ones where you just have a few peep holes in the oven floor to see the flame)

The burner was at the rear, I think it's working ok if its just a thermocouple but the ignition does not work and were the burner lets gas through at full rate it seems dangerous having to lean in the oven slightly and light it manualy with the possible gas build up. I have had no luck in contacting the manufacturers.

The burner was at the rear, I think it's working ok if its just a thermocouple but the ignition does not work and were the burner lets gas through at full rate it seems dangerous having to lean in the oven slightly and light it manualy with the possible gas build up.

Lessen the risk and use long kitchen matches and don't press the thermocouple button/knob until the match is alight and positioned at the burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oven thermocouple? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock