Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Old Welded Mains stopcock leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking at the picture attached would you say that this old stop tap can be taken apart and the washer replaced rather than making the job more complicated than it need be. It looks like a really old type of stop tap situated under the kitchen sink flat to the wall with no space around it to even use a pipe cutter. Was thinking of just changing the rubber washer but not sure if this tap will undo?

Looking at the picture attached would you say that this old stop tap can be taken apart and the washer replaced rather than making the job more complicated than it need be. It looks like a really old type of stop tap situated under the kitchen sink flat to the wall with no space around it to even use a pipe cutter. Was thinking of just changing the rubber washer but not sure if this tap will undo?
No picture has appeared, so can't tell.
Hi, cant work out why my picture wont upload. I get this message.........
The uploaded file was not an image as expected.
Source URL: Old Welded Mains stopcock leaking - https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/old-welded-mains-stop-cock-leaking.115577/

Hello we are having problems with uploads at the moment, we are working on fixing it ASAP! Sorry about that!

We can't see the picture, but where is it leaking from? the spindle?

It looks like its is leaking from the packing gland. Turn off the mains in the road. Fully open stop tap. undo the nut at the bottom of the spindle. Clean spindle shaft. apply silicone grease. close and open tap so grease feeds down spindle, apply more silicone grease tighten nut. Turn mains back on, you still might need to nip up a bit more. What ever you do, make sure you do not move the lead pipe. They can become quite brittle and can crack.

It looks like its is leaking from the packing gland. Turn off the mains in the road. Fully open stop tap. undo the nut at the bottom of the spindle. Clean spindle shaft. apply silicone grease. close and open tap so grease feeds down spindle, apply more silicone grease tighten nut. Turn mains back on, you still might need to nip up a bit more. What ever you do, make sure you do not move the lead pipe. They can become quite brittle and can crack.
Thanks for the advice mate. I'll do exactly as you've advised....cheers

Reply to Old Welded Mains stopcock leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock