Search the forum,

Discuss Nipping up Conex vs the rest in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello guys, first post here.

While I prefer copper-and-solder, I've used compression fittings successfully in the past, and I opted for compression throughout the present job because I'm tight for space.

I got most of the fittings from the local Toolstation. They're standard 15mm equal tees and 90degree elbows, the type that the chain brands as "Made4Trade". (I've seen them sold by other vendors under various different brands.)

To get pipework into a very narrow channel, I also special-ordered some Conex "obtuse elbows", 135degree bends. It's my first experience of Conex components, which cost about four times as much as the Toolstation stuff.

Here's the thing. When I opened up the stopcock this morning, the Made4Trade stuff was fine, but I got some dribbles off the Conex. They were fine after I went back and nipped them up again, but I had to apply about twice as much torque as I'd normally have done.

Are Conex designed for extra grunt?

Best, NP

What olives where in each fitting bet you had brass in the conex and copper in the tool station ones

Brass olives require a bit more force than copper olives

Got it in one, Shaun! All the fittings ship with olives, but the Toolstation ones are copper while the Conex ones are brass. Is there any reason to prefer brass to copper? It's not that I'm wimpy, but I worry about overtightening...

More likely to remove brass olives and better for compression onto harder materials eg brass drain off / valve etc

Reply to Nipping up Conex vs the rest in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock