Currently reading:
New Combi and showers no longer work

Discuss New Combi and showers no longer work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alijamieson

Hi folks,

I have just had a new combi boiler fitted and now my thermostatic mixer showerdoes not get hot enough. I have adjusted the safety on the cartridge howeverthis has made no difference.
The water temperature from the tap is hot and I can only think that due to myhigh mains water pressure, too much cold water is being forced through themixer.
Can someone please advise if this sounds feasible and will a pressure reducingvalve cure it, or would I need to replace the cartridge in the shower?
The second question I have relates to a bar shower which the plumber failed toreconnect to the cold supply after removing the supply to the header tank. Iwas told that it would not work with the combi boiler and that I will have toreplace the whole shower but in my limited brain I can't see any reason why itshouldn't work. Is the plumber speaking rubbish or can this be solved withoutthat expense?
The header tank is still in the loft and could be reconnected if required.
Any advice would be a great help as I hate baths!!!
Alisdair.

I would check the filters on the shower. After a installation you'll have alot of debris and sealants etc in pipework. This would of prob blocked filter

What Kw combi is it, if its a 24kw they can struggle in the winter when the incoming temp of the water from the mains drops.

could be the mixer needs different flow regulators in or could be incompatable with mains fed system which showers are they?

Could be simpler than the above, I had one like that two weeks ago, if you have high water pressure and plumber turned water off, then it could be likely he put stopcock on too much, try turning it down but careful not to decrease your hot flow. If that don't work, posts before will be possibly correct

Cheers for the quick responses I'll give your suggestions ago and let you know how I get on!

Merry Christmas folks,
I've have had a nightmare of late with no internet access but I'm back now.

Regarding your suggestions, I've taken the filters out which weren't seated correctly but had no debris in them and I also tried screwing the stopcock closed slightly but the temp is the same.

After doing this and testing it I have now found that the temperature is constant regardless temp control setting. This is leading me to believe that there is a problem elsewhere and that it is nothing to do with the boiler.

By the way the shower is a Mira Aquations mixer and the boiler is a British Gas 532/i and I think its 32kW.

I have changed the thermostatic cartridge and the shower works perfectly now!!

Can anyone advise on a Bristan Calico Thermostatic Bar shower. This is the one that the plumber failed to connect the cold supply to and told me that it wouldn't work anyway. Is there any reason why it shouldn't work with the combi as I don't want to run new pipes if it's not compatible.
Cheers for the help so far.

I have changed the thermostatic cartridge and the shower works perfectly now!!

Can anyone advise on a Bristan Calico Thermostatic Bar shower. This is the one that the plumber failed to connect the cold supply to and told me that it wouldn't work anyway. Is there any reason why it shouldn't work with the combi as I don't want to run new pipes if it's not compatible.
Cheers for the help so far.

Unless its fit low pressure but can't see it being
But you can't connect from to gravity cold and high pressure hot you will have to get a cold feed to that shower from mains

tank in loft that is not in use should be removed........i think its part of regs now

Lol there a hell of a lot of old galvanised tanks that need cut out of roof spaces then lol

no reason to remove disused tanks when system converted to combi unless space is needed in loft for conversion

At least I wont have to replace the shower and hopefully I'll have the time to give it a bash in the couple of weeks. I can't understand why the plumber never connected it in the first place as the open cold pipe to the shower is three inches from the cold feed to the boiler, Lazeyites I think!!

As thought there was no cold water supply fitted to the shower and it works fine aswell. I also found that they had left the old water pump in the hot supply to another part of the house where we had been experiencing low water pressure. Once removed it is perfect now.

I still have to get them back to look at the boiler again though as it is loosing over 1 bar of pressure over 2 days and I can't find a leak. Wish me luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Combi and showers no longer work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock