Discuss Need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mario1

Hi all,

Im looking to join the army as a plumber but i want to know that when i decide to leave I wont have trouble finding a job. I cant seem to find online believe it or not the required qualifications most employers look for. From the army I will gain the following plus 4 years experience so does this make it easy for me to find a job with a company.
  • Category B driving licence
  • Military Engineer (Heating and Plumbing) Class 2
  • Foundation Modern Apprenticeship (FMA)
  • Military Engineer (Combat) Class 3
  • Level 2 certificate in Basic Plumbing Studies
  • NVQ Level 2 in IT
Now i know i could ask the army but im not sure if they will just tell me what i want to hear so that i sign. Thanks alot guys and girls.

No one can garentee you a job when you leave the army. No one knows how long you are staying in for and how old you are. During your time in the Royal engineers you will pick up more quals along the way. I was a welder when i was in and i left in 05 and i am a plumber now. Good luck with it all but no one can shape your out come but you:D

Hi Mario1, if you're already thinking of what to do when you leave, you probably shouldn't be joining up mate. Also the forces won't appreciate being used as a stepping stone ;-) (says the plumber with NVQ 1 in armed services from ATR Bassingbourn...)

Hi all,

Im looking to join the army as a plumber but i want to know that when i decide to leave I wont have trouble finding a job. I cant seem to find online believe it or not the required qualifications most employers look for. From the army I will gain the following plus 4 years experience so does this make it easy for me to find a job with a company.
  • Category B driving licence
  • Military Engineer (Heating and Plumbing) Class 2
  • Foundation Modern Apprenticeship (FMA)
  • Military Engineer (Combat) Class 3
  • Level 2 certificate in Basic Plumbing Studies
  • NVQ Level 2 in IT
Now i know i could ask the army but im not sure if they will just tell me what i want to hear so that i sign. Thanks alot guys and girls.

it is alot more than you will get just going to college, looks a good offer

Hi Mario1, if you're already thinking of what to do when you leave, you probably shouldn't be joining up mate. Also the forces won't appreciate being used as a stepping stone ;-) (says the plumber with NVQ 1 in armed services from ATR Bassingbourn...)

NVQ 1? doesnt exsist

i spoke to some guys last year from the army, they were really pushing the fact you can get trained, i suppose its a selling point for em, they were advertising the fact people cud use them as a stepping stone

ive worked with x forces plumbers before now, good guys as they often have a gud attitude

Im not using the army I will do the time required? Surely its not using them if I serve my time and would like to ensure I have a career in the future?

Alot more than going to college but would this be enough to leave the army and have a career working for I dont know for example a company like pimlico?

thanks for the replys :)

Mario,

i was in the forces, use them for all you can. Dont be a dogooder they will get a lot of you so why not get a lot out of them

I spent 4 months in iraq on one of my many tours and i was within 24hrs of going home on the hercules.

My boss came into my tent as i was kipping down for my last horrible nights sleep getting rocketed all night to be told im staying and dont know when your going home.

Superb.

Get as much as you can out of them.

Once you do 4 years you will get an extra grant to spend (ÂŁ1000 per year, for 3 years)

Winner :)

Hi Unless things have changed? There are opportunities to get a bit of free training for civi street before your demobbed

My bad, just says NVQ on cert :) Was on the first intake to be awarded this in '94.

Last edited:
Your going in the forces and yet you want to be a plumber ???
Why not try for a plumbing job in the first place?
If you cant find a job to be a plumber then that will give you an idea of what it would be like or speak to some companies to get idea of employmenty after .

the forces want and need tradespeople, so why wouldnt you want to be a plumber in the forces?

It may well be that the offer is to get you in. The plumbing opportunity may be replaced with a gun.

Plumbing with a gun - could make it more fun! Should be in the gadgets thread!

Well its I join the army or pay to do a course then I would be willing to work for free till i get fully qualified with experience to find a job. Do you think being willing to work for free would help find work in these times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock