Discuss Measuring Room CO in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobo128

Gas Engineer
Hi, I have bought a fga and it has on it room CO. I have never used it but tonight could have done with using it and understanding it. I was called to a back boiler that had been condemned due to lack of servicing and was spilling product of combustion into the room. The bloke who was there before me had measured the room co and classified it as ID. The landlord then contacted me and after looking at the boiler I decided not to query the bloke who had condemned it and told the landlord it's new boiler time.

I want to know what are the tolerances for room CO and where can I find this literature in british standards or building regs so I can have a read and understand it my self.

Thanks in advance

Tom

This would be covered in your CPA training notes, and also which BS you will find the full room CO test procedure, I can't remember the BS off the top of my head

Bit of digging, it's BS 7967 ( really can't remember if it's part 1,2,3 or 4) it's not part 5 that's commercial

Last edited by a moderator:
I was called to a back boiler that had been condemned due to lack of servicing and was spilling product of combustion into the room. The bloke who was there before me had measured the room co and classified it as ID. The landlord then contacted me and after looking at the boiler I decided not to query the bloke who had condemned it and told the landlord it's new boiler time.

I say you did the right thing, I would have done the same. You want to be leaving customers with appliances you can be 100% sure are safe not putting your name to something that has a dubious history, works fine when you test it then it spills again when the wind changes!

You could end up with your cell mate doing a spillage test on you!! haha

Cheer again. Found what I was looking for. It's no more than 10ppm. I have ordered the "Using Portable Electronic Combustion Gas Analysers For Investigating Reports Of Fumes - GID11" .
This has the british standards in that I need so abit of boning up and i'll be sweet.

Cheer again. Found what I was looking for. It's no more than 10ppm. I have ordered the "Using Portable Electronic Combustion Gas Analysers For Investigating Reports Of Fumes - GID11" .
This has the british standards in that I need so abit of boning up and i'll be sweet.

How much are you paying for GID11

isnt the ability to do room co monitoring a separate gas ticket on its own, as when I asked when I did cpa 1, we were told it wasnt part of the training and leave well alone. After all your going into a dangerous situ and you dont want to be stood there testing. However you keep getting calls to co alarms going off and what to do, apart fm open all the doors and windows and test appliances then room air and ambient outside to find the problem

Lets look back at this. Really worrying. Is the BBU and fire safe for use? I would not expect to see any CO in the room from an open flued appliance. You may get background levels from flueless appliances. Does the appliances pass 26(9) checks?

No bbu is fine it's the 5 chain smokers, burning grill and spilling coke bbu on adjoining chimney?

Yer yer yer. We know BBU's are not very efficient. But they work very well and safe when installed correctly and serviced properly. Recommend an efficient replacement, but what is wrong with the current system? Check it out properly and then plan for the major upgrade.

BBUs are awesome boilers. Nowt to go wrong!

Condemned a few for flue issue etc but on the whole, very good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Measuring Room CO in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back