Discuss MCS Accreditation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify this is in fact not true as you have to show competency on the technology you are installing and on a technology like heat pumps this includes qualifications like G3 regs etc.

Your clarification is correct but in the world of beaurocrats the reality of the situation is completly different and there are people out there who I wouldnt let loose withn a bog plunger running MCS companies

Hi Unguided,

The point i was making was that it isn't £1,100 for your QMS it is £495 then you have you assessment fee from someone like CORGI or NICEIC or NAPIT which depending on who you go with is around £550.

In terms of the consumer code REAL are the one for the renewables industry and meeting the regulations of the REAL code is usually covered within your QMS.

Once you have MCS Certification your customers can benefit, you dont need to retrain but your yearly payment is for an annual audit where the assessing body will inspect you each year.

Thank you for that.

So the maths for the set up is now:

MCS QMS £495
OFTEC Assessment Fee £550 (assuming OFTEC does this scheme too and assuming that's the cost)
Solar Thermal course £300
Photovoltaic course £300
REAL sub £220

TOTAL £1,865
plus vat £373

Setup TOTAL £2,238

On-going/annual costs:

REAL £220
MSC audit £400
OFTEC £150 ??? I can't see this being free!

So, minimum of £924 including vat per year.

Or am I still wrong?

Having G3 or cps card in solar or heat pumps doesn't mean your competent it only proves you've paid for training and an assessment which is impossible to fail
I sat my G3 and BPEC solar with a Fireman Taxi driver and Double glazing salesman they all passed with flying colours are you saying they now qualified to install renewables without any knowledge or experience of plumbing.

Doesn't look at all one-man-band friendly to me. And the cost of the training!!!!

Too much waffle and turned me off.

might even do it meself £325 including lunch, coffee, and a manual, £299 if I book early BONUS and only just down the road too.

Coffee costs £325 but the lunch and training is free ... and those front photos. How many plumbers wear suits to training courses?

[Edit] PROPER plumbers.

Like the fact that you will have a template for creating your own QMS. Appreciate your still going to have to put some effort in but looks good. They just need to get one a lot further north!

I think there is more money to be made offering training courses than actually being MCS certified

Hi Guys,

The MCS Inspection itself is split between Installations, Competency and Paperwork. The installation needs to be up to the MCS Standards, and the installer needs to be able to prove they are competent to install the equipment. With regards to the paperwork, the paperwork brings the installer into line in terms of functioning to MCS Standards and maintaining a minimum level of quality in the processes they work to. This not only protects the consumer and the government (who's funding they are distributing) but also protects the installer and allows the installer to grow to new levels as they now have the basis to grow into a more structured and successful organisation (if they aren't already). The important aspect for the paperwork is protection, the paperwork has to be followed to pass MCS any deviation wont pass, and by sticking to the paperwork involved and meeting the MCS Regulations it is near impossible to rip of "Mrs Smith" and for "Mrs Smith" to come back at the Installer.

The Quality Systems involved in the MCS Scheme are 99% of the time a structure which takes an installer to the next level and many of the installers we speak to realise how useful the systems are once they have passed.

When the MCS Inspector initially inspects you they would expect you to be competent as an Installer going off your qualifications and Installations. Once your yearly audit comes around this will be far more installation based as they will expect to see a number of installations and often send a technical inspector to perform this audit.

Any more questions feel free.

I read somewhre I think it was the gas sae mag that the paperwork takes a full day to complete is this the sort of paperwork that is required? seems a bit ott if you ask me.
I also dont think there is enough people wanting this done to merit me paying out money to get this qualification at this moment in time.

Gas safe is under review at the moment and I bet that when they have finnished theyre consultations that they have got to do, they will roll somthing out something similar to this.

I know I keep bleating on but just wait until the whole industry has to go through this farce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MCS Accreditation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock