Discuss Lost a job to an illegal Gas fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mackie1983

Just lost a job to an illegal Gas fitter, he's a handyman! Not even a plumber! He's apparently going to get his substandard installation signed off by a GSR Engineer though.

Why would any GSR Engineer go through all that training just to sign off some cowboys work!

He quoted £2000 for a full central heating install.

Rant over.........

The customer informed me he has a handy man that he uses for rads and other wet jobs.

He has decided to go with his quote. Lets be clear i dont know 100% but i'm convinced enough.

When i posted this i was frustrated, it is fair to say i have know mellowed!

how do you no he has got the job ,,

What a beautiful morning!

A booby trap is a device or setup that is intended to kill, harm or surprise a person, unknowingly triggered by the presence or actions of the victim. As the word trap implies, they often have some form of bait designed to lure the victim towards it.

Can unvented system or a gas boiler installed illegally be a booby trap?

If the answer is YES and you know the illegal installer, would you let him/her to carry on putting innocent lives in danger?

If the answer is YES and you know the unreported illegal installer puts a combi in for a family with kids opposite your house and next thing you know they are all dead. Will you feel guilty at all?
What would it take us to report the illegal installers? A death of a friend or a relative…?

Hold on… Am I wasting my time here, typing the above… Shall we just let them run free?!

Just stand back! Or walk on the other side of the road! There could be a booby trap!

So when you carry out a service issue a cp12, you are taking responsibility that that installation is safe?
If it passes all the tests. How do you know it was installed by a fully qualified engineer?

The simple fact is if it is installed and signed off correctly and passes all tests.
It is a legal gas install.

It is common practice on new builds to have plumbers hang the boiler all radiators and pipework and a gas engineer comes in to connect the gas and commission. (what is the difference there from signing off someone else's work)?

Just playing devils advocate but I don't think gas safe will be interested.

I think you missed my point SimonJohns. I was drunk when I wrote it but what I was trying to say is that if you attend a property and it passes all tests. How would you know it was installed by someone not qualified?

And rereading your post it seems we are making the same point.

Last edited:
GSR's are a set of laws, which any one of us registered or not, has the potential to breach. It's just easier to prosecute a non registered person, because its black and white.

I was told at collage it was illegal to sign off a third parties appliance. So the engineer that scribbles it off could get a telling off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lost a job to an illegal Gas fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock