Discuss Looking for a Plumbing work Placement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dunny2282

Hello

I've Just about completed 14 years in the Armed Forces due to being medically discharged after sustaining a serious injury whilst serving in Iraq.

Have recently enrolled on an NVQ 2 & 3 in Plumbing and Heating. I have completed the first 4 units of the NVQ 2 already and am now looking for a mentor.

I was enquiring if anybody could help me in finding a work placement in the Midlands area as i'm struggling to find anything, finally realising just how hard it is on this side of the fence.

Thanks for the help!!

No need to be like that mate. Doesn't this post prove something to you though. 4 weeks of a live post and no replies. There's not much about mate. People aren't taking on qualified blokes at the minute nevermind apprentices. If you can find a placement and a job at the end of it FairPlay to you. But it's going to be a struggle.

Sorry...someone wrote on here and then removed the post, he told me to jog on and to ask elsewhere.I can understand that it'll be hard as i have a few friends that were in the same boat as myself a few year ago. all i have to do is stay positive and keep looking around. :stooge_curly:

Hopefully next year brings me some luck...Just have to stay positive :)

Dunny, the industry is at an all time low at the moment where even established companies are struggling. The one man bands are surviving but mainly due to their lower overheads. Consequently they can't afford to take on and pay for another pair of hands.

I would suggest getting another trade under your belt, preferably one that complements the plumbing trade such as tiling. This could make you a more attractive proposition.

The industry will pick up again. But it'll be a long time before it does.

Good luck my friend.

look for work on building sites where you may be able to get on as a mate and get some experience!

Just keep on looking, as long as you keep putting the effort in something will come up. Get down the merchants in your area and approach the guys going in, someone might need a hand on a big job or know someone else who does and if you work hard they'll give you a call next time there's work. Just don't expect to be well paid for it. The experience you can gain will be priceless in itself.

Hello everyone, i am busy renovating my bathroom now-a-days, and got confused selecting the vanity. I have a small space for bathroom 7*5 ft.. I have planned to get bathroom vanity 60x21, would it be quite bigger as compared to the size of the bathroom??

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha Ramdom? I started looking for a plumbing job when I was 16 iv finally got one. (I'm now 20) it is really hard but If your heart is set on it keep persevering and you will get what you want in the end.

If your dead set on plumbing and can not find a placement, ring self employed plumbers up and work for free to gain experience and complete the NVQ. its what I did and it worked. + the fella could see potential in you a may actually take you on or give you a few bob here and there.

try national grid they used to take on ex armed forces and train em up,never seen work as bad as this

Thank you all so much for your Advice. my head is dead set on becoming a qualified plumber, i know its going to take time and all your advice is much appreciated.

i am in exactly the same boat dunny2282.

i live in brighton and iv'e just finsihed a city and guilds level two in plumbing, i also have various construction experience not to mention working alongside a plumber for a year. yet i cant get anything. i would of thought being 25, a bit older and maturer than others seeking the same job, would be a benefit. but it dosen't seem to work like that, i think most employers taking on apprentices are looking for youngsters so they can pay them bare minimun.

Iv'e been looking for well over a year now but cant seem to get that break. Starting to get disheartend and loose determination! Has Any one got any advice on my next step..?

I was the same I started considering other careers but just keep trying. Why not advertise yourself as a plumber? You have a city & guilds qualification in the trade and worked along side a plumber for a year I'm sure there are many plumbing tasks you are competent of doing.

i am in exactly the same boat dunny2282.

i live in brighton and iv'e just finsihed a city and guilds level two in plumbing, i also have various construction experience not to mention working alongside a plumber for a year. yet i cant get anything. i would of thought being 25, a bit older and maturer than others seeking the same job, would be a benefit. but it dosen't seem to work like that, i think most employers taking on apprentices are looking for youngsters so they can pay them bare minimun.

Iv'e been looking for well over a year now but cant seem to get that break. Starting to get disheartend and loose determination! Has Any one got any advice on my next step..?
Ask at the Jobcentre about 'Work Trials', they can give you leaflets which explain to a potential employer certain benefits available to them if they're willing to give someone like yourself a chance. A lot of businesses are unaware that they can temporarily take someone on and (I think) get paid for doing so.

It's worth a shot if you're at a dead end. Here's the kind of leaflet I'm talking about.

yea it is a possibilty but i still wouldnt feel fully confident. i could manage most 2nd fix work (hanging rads, installing sanitry ware) but then it's a case of having the right tools, iv'e only got basic work tools. and im also lacking transport at the moment, got a license but no car. thanks for the idea though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for a Plumbing work Placement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock