Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Stopcock - Not sure how to access in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

L

LeakyStopCock

Got a leaky stopcock/valve/tap as I'm sure many do at this time of year in the northern hemisphere (UK based). Watched a few videos on this common problem, and it seems like some PTFE and an adjustable spanner will do the trick.

Only problem is, my stopcock looks nothing like others; where they have something that looks like this:

https://preview.redd.it/oaqj6au6r89...bp&s=1e24b03c44381c08e3559b1fc5f918652dccd657

I have this:

Any suggestions on what to do here? Or is it worth just calling a plumber and having them deal with it? I'm wondering if that's just a shroud, with the nut inside, but I don't want to try taking it apart (if I even can), and end up damaging it.

If you remove the stop tap key head (the bit you use to turn) via the screw in the centre may need to hold the valve and tap or wiggle the tap key head off

Then you can remove the shield / bell house this undos might be tight and need some grips to start it moving

Then you should have access to like your videos you’ve watched

It is indeed a shroud which will need removing before maintenance can be take place the handle will also need removing a good soaking in a penetrating oil should loosen parts up for removal. Kop

Just to show my age that's a yorkshire 508 stop tap fitted many!
As guy's have said once shroud is off standard BS 1010 stop tap head underneath.
If you need to totally replace head one from a current peglar 15mm stop tap goes strait in.

Reply to Leaking Stopcock - Not sure how to access in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock