Discuss Joining the ranks of Oftec! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I'm finally going to get Oftec registered. Worked with oil for a few years (not my bread and butter) but I know a bit.

I'm doing 101 & 105e and 600a (tanks).

The thing is, the books they say I need are £150.00!!:bigcry:

One of them is for central heating. I can't honestly think I'll need a book on central heating after working on it for years.

Anyone any experience of this?

I'm booked in on the 30th of July. Looking forward to it, as I won't have to pay a rival firm to come out and commision my appliances anymore, and I can fit tanks.

You will need the books for when you register, they check you have them on there inspections, and also that you keep them updated.

You'll need a set, maybe not for the course (we had sets provided) but when you get your inspection (within 12 months) he'll want to see your books and that you are adding in the updates.

How much you paying for commissioning? Danny.

Doing the course. Surely you can't do an assessment until you have your competancy certificates?

Its all new to me. Do I have to renew every five years as with gas? I guess initial registration is a few hundred quid? Then I'll get inspected.

I have a job I fitted a couple of years ago, possibly I can go and service that and get inspected on it?

Its all new to me. Never been urgent as I have never broken the law by working on an oil fired appliance. As I understand it, anyone can, registered or not. The registered bit becomes important when you start installing and want to notify. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see they're £31.50 when you're registered instead of £45, may be worth waiting until then, or do you know someone local that could get them for you

You'll need a set, maybe not for the course (we had sets provided) but when you get your inspection (within 12 months) he'll want to see your books and that you are adding in the updates.

How much you paying for commissioning? Danny.

All in I'm paying £600. Seems reasonable to me. Then the books on top.

Only asked because I was going to do the course at Trianco and they sold the books at a considerable saving over Oftec,thought your trainers might do the same

I see they're £31.50 when you're registered instead of £45, may be worth waiting until then, or do you know someone local that could get them for you

I have a couple of mates who are registered, but they're employed by a firm. So probably not possible. I think I'm paying £50 a book if I buy it from the college.

Not sure now, but if you have been working on oil then you should be fine to just do the assessment, maybe a days training to familiarize yourself with the books and relevant BSI. Reasesment every 5 years like gas. You need two registrations one for yourself and one for the business, I think you can pay for these annually now, you used to have to do 5 years at a time!

Only asked because I was going to do the course at Trianco and they sold the books at a considerable saving over Oftec,thought your trainers might do the same

I was going to go to Trianco myself. They're near suffolk aren't they? Anyway I was going to stay with the father in law as he lives up that way.

When I did my LPG conversion the other month, the college I went to did oil and I thought it would be a good time to bite the bullet. There's a lot of off mains property around me, (hence the LPG conversion) so just trying to add a string to my bow!

Its about 500 for company reg and 240 for engineer, every 5 years. They train you then assess, you then get your certs through the post and then register (££££) with OFTEC. Take the inspector (prob 6 months down line) to a good one. He'll assess your install and want to see you commission it, again. Big on tank base sizes, tank clearances, ventilation, earth bonding to oil lines, flue terminal locations.

Not sure now, but if you have been working on oil then you should be fine to just do the assessment, maybe a days training to familiarize yourself with the books and relevant BSI. Reasesment every 5 years like gas. You need two registrations one for yourself and one for the business, I think you can pay for these annually now, you used to have to do 5 years at a time!

Two registrations? That sounds expensive and un-neccessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joining the ranks of Oftec! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back