Currently reading:
How to become Oftec

Discuss How to become Oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Orry Clayton

First things first; I'm not Oftec, but I was looking at both Oftec and Hetas for the future possibilities and then thought I'd type this up... Mainly so in future, I will be able to find it for myself, but also to help others.

BACKGROUND

Oftec is the body that governs those working in the oil industry, while it isn't necessary to be register with Oftec, it does make it easier and cheaper to notify work.

CATEGORIES

The are three categories, for assessment to work with oil, as it is with Gas Safe.

Cat 1: Those already holding OFT Certification, and are up for re-assessment, of the particular cert'
Cat 2: Those who have a OFT Certification, but would like to add a new OFT Certification. Also, those would work within the industry such as gas safe engineers and those with relevant experience/qualifications (plumbers etc...).
Cat 3: Everyone not covered by cat 1 and 2, new to oil or plumbing. (OFT10-50)

ASSESSMENTS

OFT10-50:-
New Entrants
OFT10-101:-
Domestic/Light Commercial Commissioning/Servicing -
Pressure Jet Appliances
OFT10-102:- (Wet (W) /Dry (D))
Domestic Commissioning/Servicing –
Vaporising Appliances
OFT10-105E:-
Installation of Combustion Appliances & Systems
OFT10-600A:-
Installation of Oil Storage & Supply Systems
OFT10-201:-
Commercial Commissioning/Servicing –
Pressure Jet Appliances

REGISTERING

There are two forms of registration, individual and business. To register as a business you will need at least one person who also has individual registration (these can be applied for together).

As an individual you will be registered for different catagories, depending on what assessments have been completed;

Installation:
# Oil appliance, heating and vented hot water system
# Oil storage tank

Service and commissioning:
# Oil pressure jet appliance, heating and hot water (output<70kw)
# Oil vaporising appliance (wet and/or dry)
# Oil vaporising appliance incorporating heating and/or hot water

The cost of registering is subject to change, and varies on aMout of time you want to be registered.

RESOURCES

Oftec - www.oftec.org

====

Will add to this as I learn more, as I said was just for my own reference and to help others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that there is one type of Aga that can quite easily go BANG if you cock it up. I don't know if this is true as I stay well away from them. Even gas ones, I just don't have the experience.

There is a local firm near me who mop up all the Aga's anyway. They're about 2 miles from me, and have it wrapped up tight!

I would have thought I could nick some of their boiler work though as they're twice as expensive as me.

Haven't done vaporising either. Would need to do a lot to justify the extra time & cost of exam. Not a lot servicing some vaporising ranges. Just a thorough decarb & new wicks basically. Open flued, so risky. There is a a company who will supply an Aga service book for a reasonable cost & any parts you need.

If there is a market in your area, and you think you could poach it. Your best bet might be to see if there is an Aga training facility nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to become Oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back