Discuss Intermittent faults in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Been to a combi today - going to lockout once every week or even two weeks. As I warned letting agent before going, everything performed spot on in all modes while I was there. Just wondering after visual check, gas pressures etc how far people go above the basic checks to locate possible faults ?

helps if the custard can give you fault codes at the time of lockout or if you can read the history as per WBs (if you can work out how, I never have a 4 year old with me when I need one:) ). I also lift and lower any panels or pcbs to see if there is a loose connection which has shown up in the past by wiggling things. Otherwise your stuffed unless you know the particular boiler well and know the commom faults

I normally say the boiler will be due a thorough service to rule out any obvious faults.

After that suck it and see/ or a manufacturers visit if def the boiler.

The one I've been to today was one of the old basic models ie no fault codes or even a temperature gauge. The tenant can't even tell which mode in particular they were using it before it fails. It just feels like I'm pinching money when I can't give a definitive answer, and you just know it will bite you in the backside at a later date with landlords demanding you fix the boiler you've already been out to.

Google the boiler for known faults to start with then look for loose wires etc depends how old the boiler is as to how far I go ie the cost of looking for faults compared to replacing the boiler.

Make/model ring manufacturer to ask for common faults. Blow down conds pipe/check route. Get transco to swap meter governor in case its sticking. Look at electrodes. Ask cust if there is a pattern to it? Does it happen first thing in the morning? When its hot/how long its been on? ch or hw?

My gut feeling is the boiler is possibly locking out by overheating, but loath to start removing components to check for sludge , blockages on a fault that can be as random as once a fortnight. Just wondering if others would do this as a matter of course or as in my case throw it back on the customer and ask how far do they want me to go with what is a bottom end boiler.

What model is it?
You could say they will have to pay for each callout and let them decide. It should get worse over time and do it in front of you one day. I'm reluctant to buy parts unless i'm sure as they try not to pay if it doesn't fix it.

Boiler Vokera options in this case. Good to see that most of you are saying the things that I already do but just feel sometimes that I should be doing more.

Funny enough my mates mums vokera compact does random lockouts too, BG have replaced almost everything inside it yet every few weeks it does it... not that I'm complaining as it may get me a boiler change out it :lol:

Funny enough my mates mums vokera compact does random lockouts too, BG have replaced almost everything inside it yet every few weeks it does it... not that I'm complaining as it may get me a boiler change out it :lol:

I had one of those driving me nuts for a couple months last year. Customer kept saying it was locking out and every time I was there it worked perfectly. I must have gone about 4 times with it all working fine, each time I was there for over an hour checking for overheating etc. I ran through lots of checks with the help of the not very helpful and slightly rude technical support at vokera. In the end I swapped the pcb and it was all good.

Boiler Vokera options in this case. Good to see that most of you are saying the things that I already do but just feel sometimes that I should be doing more.
Generic lockouts with this group of boilers are venturi/fan issues and thermistors.
I would strip out clean venturi/fan/check flue and change thermistors before anything else then go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Intermittent faults in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock