Search the forum,

Discuss insurance WTF in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

insurance unreal ,my lad is 16 today,so is looking to save for a van and pass his test as soon as he hits 17,however,he has been getting hypothetical quotes on comparison sites ,he wants a 75 bhp ford transit connect,cheapest quote was £5,500,so in desperation he tried pricing up every small van he could think of,still no cheaper,so he decided to price up a ****ty ldv pilot with the slow as **** 1.9 non turbo engine,his thinking was its old,slow crap to drive, but cheap to buy,easy to work on,must be cheap to insure .....8,980 WTF how are youngsters supposed to get insured ?

insurance unreal ,my lad is 16 today,so is looking to save for a van and pass his test as soon as he hits 17,however,he has been getting hypothetical quotes on comparison sites ,he wants a 75 bhp ford transit connect,cheapest quote was £5,500,so in desperation he tried pricing up every small van he could think of,still no cheaper,so he decided to price up a ****ty ldv pilot with the slow as **** 1.9 non turbo engine,his thinking was its old,slow crap to drive, but cheap to buy,easy to work on,must be cheap to insure .....8,980 WTF how are youngsters supposed to get insured ?

were not, still cant get insured on the works van and 23 need to be 26

had a quote last month wanted 800 a year + the normal prem just to add me

they dont want to insure them, its that simple, first off buy a moped, insure him on it and leave it in the shed, gives him a years no claims staright off, every little helps

One trick is to insure in his name as ususal but add you and say your wife as named drivers, don`t ask cos I don`t know why or what.

Insurers don't like youngsters in vans. He will need to run about in a 1.2 engined car for a couple of years and have a tracker fitted.
Keep it on the road with no claims and after a couple of years it should come down.
It's tough, but these day the only way.

One trick is to insure in his name as ususal but add you and say your wife as named drivers, don`t ask cos I don`t know why or what.

or even better you as the main and him as a named

Think your find they know that one by now.

im still ok that way :D well dont know what your talking about ;)

im still ok that way :D well dont know what your talking about ;)

Just remember when my nephew got his first car they tried it your way with dad as owner and son as named driver then tried son as owner with mum & dad as named drivers and for whatever reason it was cheaper. Plus named drivers rarely get NCD at end of the year.

My lad had a little scooter from 16-18 then got given a little fiesta 1.1, nobody took into account the scooter ncb, finally rang Hastings who were impressive, gave him a quote of around the £1000 mark where others were 5-10-15000 they are just not interested. Tell your lad leave it till he's passed then ring Hastings

Just remember when my nephew got his first car they tried it your way with dad as owner and son as named driver then tried son as owner with mum & dad as named drivers and for whatever reason it was cheaper. Plus named drivers rarely get NCD at end of the year.

years ago female drivers were classed as less risk :D

actually cheaper to insure as learners as once they pass it will leap up as they are not accompanied !

This is legal, and works and starts them building their own no-claims. It reduced Miss S's insurance on her Citroen C3 from £3.5k to about £1800 when I added myself, and to £1100 when I added her grandmother. And I had 3 points at the time.

or even better you as the main and him as a named

No, this is not better. It is illegal, it is highly likely not to work (if there is an expensive claim, then the insurer will appoint a loss adjuster who will be all over it like a rash) and it does not build up the youngsters no claims.

vauxhal combo 1.3, Astra van 1.3 fiesta van 1.0

With the first two get them with rear seats then they are car derived vans and chips a bit off.

Im added on the wifes insurance, came down between 50 and 75 quid. Every little helps.

try not to buy a banger. my bro is in car insurance and said they see youngsters witha cheap runaround as a high risk as they wont look after the car or be bothered if it gets bashed. i got my insurance renewal through month ago - 1.1 hyundai getz, 6000miles/pa, 10 yrs ncd, me & mrs, both 42, no accidents or points - £471 fully comp!!!! insurance is rediculous.
apprentice who is 24 now cant drive the company Navarra as has to be over 25 but CAN drive the 8wheeler hooklift truck we use for chip deliveries.

As above, it's often cheaper to insure a more expensive, modern car/van. Not entirely sure why, perhaps less likely to claim for personal injuries which seem to be the most expense an insurer has to pay out.

were not, still cant get insured on the works van and 23 need to be 26

had a quote last month wanted 800 a year + the normal prem just to add me

Tell your company to get insured with Aviva, they are very competitive for multi-van policies. We have a driver who is 23 and drives one of our Crafters. Costs us £500 a year. Mine is £400 a year and I'm 34.

well,done a quote on the landy with him as a named and me as the main,bearing in mind its a 2.5 turbocharged diesel,quote was 12k,probably because if he hits something in that,its heavy damage,does value of a vehicle go against it,insurers have agreed a 5 k value ,looked at estate cars,whats got a small engine model wise?whats this multivan lark? if he gets one with the transit and landy there's 3 vans

Last edited by a moderator:
if you try to add a new or young driver to a policy, the insurance companies tend to base their price on the new driver even if they are just a named driver, also they will only give you the going rate if they write your car off not how much youve told them its worth so dont tell them its worth £10,000 if its only worth 7 as they will quote you to replace the £10g which will put the premium up

WHEN MY GIRL WAS 18 THE CHEAPEST CAR TO INSURE WAS AN MGBGT!!
came in at £1200 and she didnt have a full license..

robin reliant £2400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to insurance WTF in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock