Discuss Info for people considering fast tracking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I went to college to complete my 6129 I knew I had to complete my portfolio to get my NVQ as I'd researched it. However the college didn't mention it and no one else on the course realised until I said. They all thought that the course they were on would leave them qualified.

i remeber one lad coming talking to me who had been to college and was going mad that he was on a 6129 and he had been promised the nvq. when he showed me the induction material it clearly stated 6129 only, nothing was mentioned about the nvq

people see and hear what they want to see and hear

why are there so many negative comments?
Does learning this from a young age at college or Uni etc mean its better than distance learning?

I'm a Project Manager and was laid off last year when BSF was axed. Next to nothing since. No money equals no projects equals no jobs.
Back in the good days the money was great but with up to 6hrs travelling per day it takes its toll.
Now i'm not saying its rosey here or there but if a late 30's guy like me wants to retrain whilst trying to pay bills, what other choices do we have?
Too old for college, too old for apprenticeships (if there are any of these left).
So the only avenue is something like this.
For me it's about quality of life, less of a commute and frankly i've had enough of projects inefficiencies, wasting money, failed deliveries, changing politics etc that cause so much aggro each day.
I suspect plumbing also has its down sides but id like to be the one to find out.
I'd like to work for someone. I've been self employed for years and it has good and bad points.

I'm only part of my way through one of these courses and i'm finding it flexible to allow me to try to find soem work to pay the bills whilst i learn.
I've been very fortunate that a plumber allowed me to help him with a load of new pipe work installation.
He showed me the very basics and allowed me to solder, bend, install radiators, help drain the system and also threw some questions at me on some topics.

So come on folk, its not our fault we chose this path, maybe we think the grass is greener but let us try to find out.
For one i'd be losing masses financially but then its not as important for me now as my priorities have changed.

no offence to anyone, just my thoughts at this early stage.

when i was at college, there were about 3 40+ guys in my class. They managed to get apprenticeships, and I know alot of other people that did also. My point when posting this was these courses are making it out that we earn millions when we dont, and pointing out that to an employer you are not in any way attractive unless you have NVQ level 2 at least in england or SVQ level 3 in scotland, then its all about experience the more experience you have the more chance you have of getting a job.

The point is these courses are promising lies, and false hope. I accept that there are a minority who go on to become sucsesful but most give up and cut their loses and go back to their old jobs

why are there so many negative comments?
Does learning this from a young age at college or Uni etc mean its better than distance learning?

I'm a Project Manager and was laid off last year when BSF was axed. Next to nothing since. No money equals no projects equals no jobs.
Back in the good days the money was great but with up to 6hrs travelling per day it takes its toll.
Now i'm not saying its rosey here or there but if a late 30's guy like me wants to retrain whilst trying to pay bills, what other choices do we have?
Too old for college, too old for apprenticeships (if there are any of these left).
So the only avenue is something like this.
For me it's about quality of life, less of a commute and frankly i've had enough of projects inefficiencies, wasting money, failed deliveries, changing politics etc that cause so much aggro each day.
I suspect plumbing also has its down sides but id like to be the one to find out.
I'd like to work for someone. I've been self employed for years and it has good and bad points.

I'm only part of my way through one of these courses and i'm finding it flexible to allow me to try to find soem work to pay the bills whilst i learn.
I've been very fortunate that a plumber allowed me to help him with a load of new pipe work installation.
He showed me the very basics and allowed me to solder, bend, install radiators, help drain the system and also threw some questions at me on some topics.

So come on folk, its not our fault we chose this path, maybe we think the grass is greener but let us try to find out.
For one i'd be losing masses financially but then its not as important for me now as my priorities have changed.

no offence to anyone, just my thoughts at this early stage.

Hi Hutchey,

I'm new to this myself. I am thinking about starting the new 6189 course and also have a plumber willing to help me through it with the onsite visits from the NVQ assessors. As you have experienced the courses would you advise this route being 35 and wanting to change jobs into plumbing. Nice to see someone not been so negative about it all.

you are confusing negative with realistic. I can be as positive as you like many sales people i mean centre advisors will be positive. Just pay them the money and they will be very positive, i garantee it

were not being negative we are being realistic, the amount of people i know with experience that arent working the now is unreal, if they cant get a job then how do you expect to get one with your 6129 or whatever its called ?

there's mass unemployment accross the board. Some builders, electricians and plumbers i know have weeks of work stacked up - other have very little if any.
All i want is the chance to at least try something different. Either way right now i have nothing to lose as no work is no work!
Nowhere is taking on apprentices and colleges told me i was too old so what can you do.
I'm not sure if i'd recommend it or not as not being on this long at all. Only 9 modules in and on the Water Regs bit now.
Right now, for me this feels like the good thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Info for people considering fast tracking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
So err Hi 👋. Names Dave and I’m a banker (yeah feel free to mock). Always felt in the wrong type of career. Looking to change and gas career...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I am a plumber with 6 years experience, I have my own business and have and NVQ level 2 plumbing qualification, I’m also OFTEC qualified...
Replies
Views
Well, this is a new one on me. Has anyone got any thoughts on the following? I completed a bathroom job and invoiced for the last portion of...
Replies
Views
Back