Search the forum,

Discuss In the middle of my practical gas exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I need as much help as possible from you guys.
im currently in my apprenticeship. Unfortunately my journey man doesn't do a lot of or teaches me.
any way I've studied the bpec book for months before my the test. I pass it with on 3 orials on legislation paper Everyone in my class got average of 13 orials.

Ive struggled the practical side due to a lack of hands on experience. I've done the fault finding with incorrect fittings,mounted co alarms,let by test which failed but found the leak and fixed the problem with the correct procedure practice.followed by let by & tightness test.Working gas rate on cooker with three rings, standing pressure, then gas rate metric meter and boiler burner pressure. Two other appliances that are incomplete combustion. I've passed all this section with a struggle.

Does anyone one know what the part is? I know I've got chimneys,gas test rig,flue/flow spillage test and flue terminals which I know I'll be fine with. I heard the lecture says there will be pictures with faults?

im so so nervous and my life is on hold for this qualification. I haven't slept or eaten since Wednesday.

i feel if I had a better journeyman who could talk things through to why eg I'm doing a gas rate,burner pressure, standing pressure. I've tried so hard to get to this stage.

thank you gas guys any advise is great.

Chill out mate its not in anyones interest to fail you and they will give you all possible help on the day to pass. Colleges dont get money or good rep for low pass rates.

If you learn everything for the exam it wont make you a safe person necesseraly the most important thing to learn is that answer is in the book and to learn how to find the info online, in regs and in gas book. Even teacher gets regs wrong but if you know how to read your gas book and manufacturers instructions you will be much safer than a guy who thinks he remembers all the numbers and all the regs.

What Im trying to say is there is nothing wrong with not knowing, whats much much worse is thinking you know or trying to show confidence in a field where one mistake can have pretty big consequences.

If you havnt already been assessed on a gas parts rig this video might be helpful.

When i 1st did mine i was shocked at how bad the reacs were knowledge wise - and we were doing the papers with the council lads.
I suppose its easy to lapse when your doing the same limited stuff day in day out.

Just take your time - as above they want to help you, but im sure i heard shooting out back when 2 lads failed - i never did see them again -

Last edited by a moderator:
re the inspection bits they stand out like a sore thumb

compression fittings boxed in

trac pipe brazed oto copper

push fit cap end

open end

no clips

cant turn ecv off

push fit waste pipe being used for a flue

wrong terminal

you can see a flexible liner

etc

things like that just work from one end and list all the bits you dont like

controls/ test bench and what they are is listed in your viper book

Vent cover missing off pipe ducts , lpg fittings use on natural gas , too close to electrics, pipes not sleeved also the ones that are arent sealed , i just did mine 2 weeks ago and there were few guys from inverness there, i did mine in elgin technical ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to In the middle of my practical gas exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock