Currently reading:
Ideal Logic plus PCB replacement - be aware

Discuss Ideal Logic plus PCB replacement - be aware in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ian B

If, like me, you find yourself replacing the printed circuit board (PCB) in an Ideal Logic plus boiler, be aware that it's ESSENTIAL to obtain the correct Boiler Chip Card (BCC) at the same time. Having read the manual, I was aware of this, but my order got cocked up (no names, no pack drill) and I was supplied just the PCB - result, fruitless visit, hideous journey back in Friday traffic, customer without hot water or heating for the weekend.

Why did I visit at all? I hoped the original PCB had the BCC fitted, so I could swap it, but no, the PCB fitted to a new boiler has its program installed by other means into the board's microprocessor in the factory. I suspect a new board doesn't have an identity or enough code to run a boiler - that's supplied on the BCC. This provides the code that tells the board that, for instance, it's to control a Logic plus 30 Combi and not another of the range.

Given that a replacement board without a BCC is as much use as a chocolate teapot, it beggars belief that Ideal's systems allow a PCB to be sent out without one. I expect this has happened a fair few times and given a problem each time.

I strongly suspect that the reason the original board doesn't have a BCC is that programming in the factory costs virtually nothing.

In summary, we have too-clever-by-half technology and design decisions that create an accident waiting to happen - again and again.

And don't even try turning the boiler on without the BCC - we're warned this can damage the boiler - a bit like "the robot's chewed its leg off again".

I was also disappointed with the fault-finding information on this boiler. The manual looks great, with lots of helpful photos, but for instance, to find out whether the gas valve is receiving its 200V dc, you find yourself tracing the wiring to the PCB, only to find there are no test points as such or access at connectors for meter probes. The 200V may only be there briefly, so you're holding meter probes and operating the reset switch - thanks a bundle!

Finally, a prediction from a colleague: competition has severely squeezed profit margins on new boilers. The arms race to offer longer warranty periods will also be hurting the manufacturers (reliability hasn't necessarily improved enough to avoid this), not to mention depriving service engineers of work. The result, since there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, will be that spares prices will escalate, since that's where the profit is.

Interesting true enough. not sure it should be in the public forums though!

Hopefully ideal will get to read this

But on the other hand I suppose they don't mind a public flogging. They did sell the icos for many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Logic plus PCB replacement - be aware in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock