Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was the old Yorkshire Fittings guide which stated flux should be applied sparingly to both surfaces to be soldered, and that is what I have always followed. Otherwise if you get any surfaces the flux does not run onto you risk non-adhesion

I think it was the old Yorkshire Fittings guide which stated flux should be applied sparingly to both surfaces to be soldered, and that is what I have always followed. Otherwise if you get any surfaces the flux does not run onto you risk non-adhesion

I twist the pipe where possible.as this smears flux all around. Not too fussed really though as the flux runs around the joint when heated. Capillary attraction works on the molten flux just as it does on the solder

Fine for the standard 15 and 22mm fittings but as they get larger it's more important

Fittings and pipe is a vote ahead. No one is going to argue with stalwarts like WHEPES and System3 are they?

So all you fittings only lot, mend your ways!

Fittings and pipe is a vote ahead. No one is going to argue with stalwarts like WHEPES and System3 are they?

So all you fittings only lot, mend your ways!

Get out of it, never had a soldered joint fail yet plus my flux lasts twice as long.

You've not had a single joint fail you yet....ever, ever?

In the past 15 years or more, I've had one joint fail me (I can still remember the joint). Reducing tee, with a street elbow, and another elbow off of that. One part of the joint wouldn't take. Think I burnt the flux.

So I can't be doing much wrong my way. My tub of flux lasts me ages too.

I am considering going fitting only for gas work. I tend to use powerflow for gas now as it's less aggressive than Ever.

You've not had a single joint fail you yet....ever, ever?

Never... ever. I've always used LA-CO too, tried Powerflow once and hated it.

Laco.

That's it. I've heard enough. I hate that stuff. Bloody awful flux.

I've tried it. Then gave the tub away twice. I have no idea why it's popular on here. Most blokes I've worked with have reckoned it's crap too.

Burns too easily if you use Mapp and you're sweating 35mm+. Larger fittings need a bit of heat in the fitting, Laco starts to turn black before the solder runs properly. I hate that brand big time!

Laco.

That's it. I've heard enough. I hate that stuff. Bloody awful flux.

I've tried it. Then gave the tub away twice. I have no idea why it's popular on here. Most blokes I've worked with have reckoned it's crap too.

Burns too easily if you use Mapp and you're sweating 35mm+. Larger fittings need a bit of heat in the fitting, Laco starts to turn black before the solder runs properly. I hate that brand big time!

I found the Powerflow turned black that was the main reason I decided I couldn't be bothered with it. I only ever use propane too as MAPP is way too hot, I rarely ever work on anything bigger than 28mm. Never experienced the LA-CO go black either, maybe it does that if you use MAPP???

Maybe. Laco is very popular on here.

I've been using nothing but Mapp for years now. I can't remember when I swapped over from propane, but it must be +10 years.

If I use propane (pick up one of my lads torches) it does my head in. Takes too long to heat the joint! I know it's just seconds difference, but I guess it's what you know.

I've also burnt powerflow. Maybe it's time I bought a can of propane!!

EverFlux is bloody great. You'd have to be a fool to burn it. It will clean up oxidised copped no problem, and it lasts ages. However it does eat your skin. Which makes you wonder. What is it doing to my lungs as I inhale the fumes?

I find that the fumes from powerflow are a lot worse than those from everflux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock