Discuss Gas Engineer Courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this thread for real.

Time served ex BG engineer worked for manufacturers and BG. 20 years in experience on breakdown/service/install and I am finding it hard to find work. What is happening in this industry £4000 150hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
people think the acs is a all out gas course, thats what gets me, its only for people who can already do it

the course will not teach you how to;-

install boilers
install fires
install cookers
install gas meters
install water heaters

it will not teach you how to fix mrs smiths boiler which has an intermittent firing problem.
it will not teach you how to strip out and service/replace faulty components
it will not teach you how to design a full heating system
it will not tell you how to deal with building fabrics
it will not make you competent with tools
it will not teach you how to understand heating and hot water systems

Ok so lets accept that he wants to get trained on the above in addition to safety theory but doesn't have the option to tag along with someone for 4 years and £95 pw - there are loads of courses out there but what should be be looking for in terms of ones that will lead to a recognised qualification? Of course the training needs to be backed up with practical experience but help the guy understand what courses are worth doing because c&g sure as hell don't. c&g 6129 then 6128?

the 6129 is a plumbing qual
the 6128 is a heating and vent qual
what your talking about is a gas qual, [DLMURL]http://www.cityandguilds.com/65522.html?search_term=gas[/DLMURL]

which ever way you want to angle this, the answer is always the same, you need to be working in the industry

Last edited by a moderator:
if you go on C&G website, follow my link it has all the quals available from them, you can even search all the assessments required, all the information is there

which ever way you want to angle this, the answer is always the same, you need to be working in the industry

Jeeze I give up. The OP just wanted to know what qualifications Brit Gas, EON etc looked for. Probably best if you just ask them direct.

The C&G offer so many qualifs it is hard to identify which tickets to aim for.

All these replies just present a catch 22 of - cant get qualified without a job - cant get a job without being qualified.

BG are looking for NVQs in Gas now, everyone looks for NVQS or the old C&Q Advanced Craft, not tech certs.

Jeeze I give up. The OP just wanted to know what qualifications Brit Gas, EON etc looked for. Probably best if you just ask them direct.

The C&G offer so many qualifs it is hard to identify which tickets to aim for.

All these replies just present a catch 22 of - cant get qualified without a job - cant get a job without being qualified.

Its a shame that you now decide to give up when confronted with the facts.

C&G's offer all the correct qualifications, they cover each trade, I think its very easy, what is it you find hard to understand? ill try to help you

No catch 22, of course you cannot get a job as a plumber without being qualified, did you think you could? You can get qualified without having a job as a plumber, this has always been the case, its called an apprenticeship. That option is still open.

i fear from your posts that you are looking for a short cut, because you are struggling to find one you are letting your frustrations get the better of you, thats fine I understand your frustration, however it is not our fault or the fault of qualified engineers and as such you shouldnt get angry with those posting the facts for you on here.

C&G's are only an awarding organisation, they do not write the standards, you should try summitskills

There are a lot of gas realted NVQs, which are required?

well ive posted a link for you, any related trade nvq with relevant experience would probably get you in most organisations. you could email BG and/or look through the C&G websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineer Courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
If a gas engineer doesn't have CKR1 and has never had. How would they get it do you have to build a portfolio/ do a few days at college?
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock