Search the forum,

Discuss Fuel Costs - Electric up, Oil down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris watkins

Esteemed
Plumber
Our calculations | Energy Saving Trust

Please see link to trusted site for fuel costings as you can see it the costs for kW/h for oil is around 5.36p against standard rate electric of 14.05p, even allowing for some heat loss from boiler & pipes it is still much cheaper to heat your hot water via the boiler rather than the immersion.

As I had already written this before thread was closed by the eyes in the sky, I thought I would post anyway, think it is based on prices last Feb so may have dropped even more.

I might have to go get my OFTEC. LOL

Last edited:
Had the energy trust on radio 4 last year saying how cheap oil was at the minute but warned the pattern is that this will rise again.

Oil has so many benefits IMO. It generally averages out that oil is overall very competitive compared with natural gas, and in fact perhaps a lot cheaper.
Some oil boilers are extremely efficient - well over 90% actual over whole year.
Kerosine at its most expensive was around ÂŁ500 for 900l. Today it is ÂŁ262 for 900l.
You could run a small house on that amount for a year, if the heating is used sensibly. Even at ÂŁ500 it wasn't too bad.
A boiler using .5 or .6 nozzle can only use little over 2 litres of oil an hour - and that is if it was burning flat out! Obviously it won't use that amount and will use a constantly reducing fraction of that each subsequent hour, same as gas would.
Then there is the cost of breakdowns and parts and life of boilers to consider.
Most domestic oil boilers, like Grant Vortex, have the potential to last for many years and parts needed are few and not expensive.

Last edited:
Just noticed that there is no standing charge in N.I. for electricity at standard rate, why is that Best?
Even the Economy 7 is only around ÂŁ35, cost per unit is more I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fuel Costs - Electric up, Oil down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock