Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss fitting TRVS and balancing rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I could do with some tips regarding fitting TRVs.
My customer wants them fitted to their rads. (Don't yet know if it is to replace existing TRVs or the first-time fitting).
If the current lockshields are OK (leak free and nice looking) I thought I'd leave them be.
To do the job properly, I should turn the heating on and check the rads are working.Should I re-balance the rads as a matter of course, or - if all the rads are warming up nicely - leave it alone?
Tips and advice would be very welcome.
Thanks again,
Jennie
PS. When filling the system, potentially more than one TRV connection could leak a bit. I can imagine myself with a towel under each valve, legging it round the house, testing for leaks before the carpets get damp or stained.

System should not need rebalancing if it works OK now. Will only need balancing if you mess about with the lock shield valves. Check that the TRV's are on flow, as a preference, but not absolutely necessary if you use bye flow TRV's.

You shouldn't have to worry about any leaks. Do a good job on the Trv joints & you will have the confidence to fill the system.
Use the right amount of ptfe tape on the tails &, IMO, a smear of paste (Jetblue I like).
If the copper pipes to the rads are not damaged in any way, then just make sure you dont over tighten the olives. Slacken the valve off again, check the olives are full on the pipe & nicely compressed & then smear a little paste over olives. Tighten up & no leaks ever.
Using paste is for another thread though, as some won't use it! :smile:

Last edited:
except the property is MASSIVE, balancing is not required.
If you find the furthest rads aint heating up, then you may have to balance system.
Sometimes, almost every other room will be using a 'drop down' circuit. In which case, you may find that balancing is required

Jennie, just out of interest, do you have something against men?
You have been asking for help on a daily basis, but 80 posts and not a single thank you? Is that because we are not giving you the answers you consider to be right?
Not saying you need to thank anyone, but just find it strange that peeps ask for advice and a simple thank you is a problem?

Jennie, just out of interest, do you have something against men?
You have been asking for help on a daily basis, but 80 posts and not a single thank you? Is that because we are not giving you the answers you consider to be right?
Not saying you need to thank anyone, but just find it strange that peeps ask for advice and a simple thank you is a problem?
Yours is not that great village, (3 in 107, pot calling kettle black!) have you got something against us hermaphrodites ?

Oh dear. I'm sorry. I thought I'd said lots of thank yous - sometimes I only get to read the 'answers' later, so miss out on dialogue (like above), but try to say thanks at some point. I'm always very grateful for all your advice though. Here's a big thank you.
:stooge_curly: thank you everyone :stooge_curly: I don't know how I'd get by without you all.
Wow. I'm so impressed I've clocked up 80 posts.
And - I've just noticed it - I've only just seen the 'thanks' button on the left hand side. I had no idea it was there. Has it always been there? I'll start using it.

Use JetBlue and locktight 55 thread tape for good seal

I always use loctite 55 now been binned ptfe ages back however did have a leak with it on a radiator tail end of day friday just gone :(

round out tail scratched up and her presto leak sorted

I must get some Loctite. Sounds better than PTFE.
Would you re-use the olives (which might be stuck on the pipe) - assuming nothing is damaged?
Thanks,

I must get some Loctite. Sounds better than PTFE.
Would you re-use the olives (which might be stuck on the pipe) - assuming nothing is damaged?
Thanks,

Only use the old nuts & olives & for that matter, old tails if they are in perfect order & compatable with the new TRVs. Need to paste or ptfe over any original olives! Not a lot of point IMO renewing identical nuts & olives but you will often find the old nuts are a bit shabby looking or damaged with some idiots using grips & the olives might be a poor type & maybe overtightened. I cut them off by cutting diagonally with a junior hacksaw without going through to the pipe & splitting them with a smallish slotted screwdriver.
On the subject of olives, - use copper if plastic pipes & decent brass (if copper pipes are for heating).

You are right Chriss, but pray tell me, haw many posts have I started?
I don't know (without looking) haw many posts have you started (thought they were threads) village, pray tell us? but it does sound like you are changing the rules as you go along ! :stooge_curly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fitting TRVS and balancing rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock